IVOA, Samp & sharpcap

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
jean.paul

IVOA, Samp & sharpcap

Post by jean.paul »

- This is my first mail in this forum.

- I'm trying to setup an access to the "Virtual Observatory" (VO) in Sharpcap.

- Virtual Observatory (aka VO) is ruled by IVOA https://ivoa.net/astronomers/getting_started.html ,a worldwide consortium of professional astronomers and institutions. VO give free access to catalogs (>30 000) , images database, spectra database, missions database, etc...

VO is the way to solve the question : "How to receive the celestial coordinates of an(y) Object and let the mount slew to this point".

With Sharpcap scripting and some hacking, we succeeded to get a "proof of concept". We try now to package a solution for sharpcap users.

Carte du ciel still allow access to VO (Via menu view/samp) and the use of free software "Aladin".
I am currently developping an integrated module for PRISM.
I'm glad to collaborate with two professional astronomers, and hope to get support via a PRO/AM collaboration from Observatoire de Paris.
admin
Site Admin

Re: IVOA, Samp & sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi,

that sounds really interesting - I will be keen to see how you get it to work. I guess you will have a SharpCap python .py script to run to add the extra functionality.

cheers,

Robin
Renaud

Re: IVOA, Samp & sharpcap

Post by Renaud »

Hello,

I work with Jean-Paul who wrote the initial post of this thread. Here are the technical details for our proof of concept:
- We use the NumSharp library (https://github.com/SciSharp/NumSharp).
- We modified a python-3.4 conda installation of astropy-2.0.16 to use NumSharp insteady of numpy (which cannot be used directly as explained in viewtopic.php?t=4355) - see the small attached diff file.
- Then we run our samp.py script (attached) which uses the module astropy.samp to establish communication with the SAMP Hub, register to SAMP pointing events, and slew the mount. This script contains the samp_init() function which needs to be adapted to your system for paths where NumSharp and astropy are installed.

I tested this POC with Aladin and the ASCOM mount simulator.

This is still beta but we are interested by your tests and comments/suggestions.

Clear skies,

Renaud.

2 attachements included
Attachments
samp.py.txt
python script for SharpCap-4.1
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
__init__.py.diff.txt
diff file for astropy/__init__.py
(484 Bytes) Downloaded 38 times