SVBony Driver Question

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
mjd6191

SVBony Driver Question

Post by mjd6191 »

Good Morning all,
\Two questions:

I have both the SVBony 605CC and MC and there have been banding issues with both. SVbony released a new SDK at the end of November that was supposed to address most of these issues. I downloaded the SDK and ran the insatller, but when I open both NINA and AstroDMX, it still is showing the old driver. I cannot find a way in Sharpcap to determine which driver the software is using. Is there an easy way to see this? Or even a difficult way!

Second question is about the gain and noise. I did a sensor analysis and used the smart histyogram for some imaging of IC434, and the images came out extremely noisy. The gain was set at 100 based on the analysis and the smart histogram. Would I be better off increasing the gain to something like 115 or 125 (125 is what the sensor analysis gave me on my f4.9 newtonian, 100 when I used the analysis on my 80mm SV503ED)
admin
Site Admin

Re: SVBony Driver Question

Post by admin »

Hi,

the updates in the SVBony SDK will come through installing a new version of SharpCap rather than by updating the SVBony driver (for most astro cameras the driver itself is relatively simple and doesn't do a great deal - it just allows messages to be passed between the SDK and the camera).

The latest versions of SharpCap 4.1 contain SVBony SDK 1.12.1, which is currently the most up-to-date version. That update went into SharpCap near the end of December, so you need to have a very new version to take advantage of it - these versions are only available on our downloads page, not yet via auto-update. See https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads

As to the timings and gain settings, it's not really a problem if the individual images are noisy when using the smart histogram settings - those settings are not aimed to give good individual images, they are aimed to give a good image after stacking (which will reduce the noise, and reduce it more if you stack 100 images than if you stack 10). Changing the gain by a small amount will not have a great effect - you are already imaging at gains of 100 or above (where the camera operates in High Conversion Gain mode, leading to lower read noise).

Taking longer exposures will make each one less noisy, but you will have less to stack at the end of the hour, and the end result will be almost identical whether you use the exposure recommended by SharpCap or a longer one.

cheers,

Robin
mjd6191

Re: SVBony Driver Question

Post by mjd6191 »

Thanks Robin, I did update the version of Sharpcap Pro in the last few weeks so iI should be good to go.
I need to look at how I am stacking and/or imaging because I had a large amount of noise after stacking 217 images at 36.5 seconds each, so the issue must be on my end!

Thanks again, it is so very rare to get such great advice so quickly, I appreciate all of your input!