sun with SHG

Discussions of using SharpCap for Solar or Lunar Imaging
walters@helios_be

sun with SHG

Post by walters@helios_be »

Hi there
I use the Sol'Ex SHG to take solar images. To do this, I need to scan the sun at 16 times sidereal speed. I want to do this in a back-and-forth motion of the mount. Can I automate this in SharpCap?
This is a single san image taken on 19/08/2023
[img][/img
crop.jpg
crop.jpg (821.05 KiB) Viewed 15859 times
]
Walter
admin
Site Admin

Re: sun with SHG

Post by admin »

Hi Walter,

great image!

There is no built in functionality to scan the sun in this way, but SharpCap does have a python scripting language built in that allows all sorts of custom features to be added. I know that Jean-Francois is a SolEx imager and also is keen on SharpCap scripting to add custom functions, so maybe he has advice on how best to do this. I am fairly sure he has a script, but can't seem to find a post giving more details at the moment.

cheers,

Robin
walters@helios

Post by walters@helios »

Thanks Robin
Meanwhile i did see his reply on a post concerning Solar photography.
I will contact him.
Greetings
Walter
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Walter,

I wrote a special script for the capture of the SHG film with SharpCap.
But I need some time for updating the documentation, while I did a lot of changes in the past 12 months.

An (one year) old version can be downloaded from the Sol'Ex forum: https://groups.io/g/Solex-project/message/6726
But you need first to learn French.

Or you try the same version in the following ZIP file ;)
Script INTI_SharpCap_Menu_2023-01-04_en.zip
(247.47 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

I scan 99.9% in DEC direction ... and in this direction the speed in + or - are the same.
The problem is the RA direction scan. It depends on the driver, SharpCap and the speed rate.
It means that sometime the RA+ speed is not the same as the RA-. (it is coming relative to the tracking speed)
So that the telescope is not coming back at the same position relative to the sun.

If you do manually one scan in + and then manually one scan in -, then the speed difference in RA is not relevant.
The problem appears with an automatic large number of repetition in RA+ and RA-.

So you can try this old version until I update the last version documentation and finally solve the RA rate problems.

Which mount do you have ? If SkyWatcher, which driver do you use ?

Regards,
Jean-Francois