Mineral Moon Sharpcap Surface Stabilization EAA 12/28/23

Discussions of using SharpCap for Solar or Lunar Imaging
DrBobAZ

Mineral Moon Sharpcap Surface Stabilization EAA 12/28/23

Post by DrBobAZ »

Hi All

Have been playing around with the surface stabilization on the full lunar disk. At first, I used full disk/planet with rgb align and got reddish artifacts. I thought at first it was the L-pro filter I was using (I didn't want to mess with my DSO imaging train at rip out and replace with a uv-ir)

Turns out that Mike (borodog) straightened me out and got me to use the surface stabilization.

Below is a link to a cloudy nights topic laying all this out, along with images and settings. Turned out rather nicely, IMO

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/9051 ... p=13159258

Bob
admin
Site Admin

Re: Mineral Moon Sharpcap Surface Stabilization EAA 12/28/23

Post by admin »

Hi Bob,

that's just the sort of image I was hoping that people would be able to create when I increased the saturation range - glad to see it. I do have an idea (or two) for ways that I might be able to reduce/remove the ring you get round the bright edge of the moon when applying sharpening. Not sure if they will work and haven't had a chance to even try them out yet, but at some point I will get around to looking at the problem.

cheers,

Robin
DrBobAZ

Re: Mineral Moon Sharpcap Surface Stabilization EAA 12/28/23

Post by DrBobAZ »

Thanks Robin

That 'rind' I thought was just a natural consequence of the wavelet sharpening process. Since I'm a EAA purist (and a bit lazy) I just keep it, but others who do planetary lucky imaging mask it out post-process.

If you can figure out a way to do it as part of the livestack workflow, that would be a very significant advancement, IMO.

Bob