Opening Previously Created Videos

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Richie

Opening Previously Created Videos

Post by Richie »

I'm new to SharpCap Pro, but have used previous versions on occasion. When in SharpCap Pro, I try to open and view planetary videos (SER) I took several years back when using an earlier version of SharpCap. The current version of SharpCap Pro states that it cannot read these files.

Is there a workaround that would allow me to import and view previous video files into the current SharpCap Pro version?

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Re: Opening Previously Created Videos

Post by admin »

Hi Rick,

do you get a particular error message when this happens? I just had a look at the code, and the only failure case that looks likely to occur is if the original file did not get completely written out for some reason (SharpCap crash, out of disk space, etc). In that case, the frame count listed in the file header would still be zero, and that will currently cause an error.

If it is the zero frame count (in the very latest SharpCap 4.1, encountering this problem will give an error 'The SER file has a frame count of zero') then I might be able to work around the issue by looking at the size of the file to estimate the number of frames.

If it doesn't seem to be that problem, then please share the SharpCap log captured after the problem has happened - it ought to give me some clues as to where to start looking in the code, and it's small enough to upload here (which the SER file itself won't be!)

cheers,

Robin
Richie

Post by Richie »

Hi Robin:
Thanks for the information. What I ultimately discovered was that while I cannot open previously created videos using the Open Capture Folder menu to navigate to them, I can indeed open them using the Image Browse function found under Testing Controls in the Camera Controls panel.

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rick,

ah, yes, that's right... The folder monitor camera is designed for multiple still images, not videos :)

cheers,

Robin