Problem with ASCOM driver (Canon450D, 60D)

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
BojanS

Problem with ASCOM driver (Canon450D, 60D)

Post by BojanS »

Hi guys,
I am new to SharpCap...
And I have a problem, both my cameras disconnects after couple of "click's" and then SF (latest, 4.1.11) crashes.
What could that be?
Thank you in advance for any help :-)

Error report is below:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
---> ASCOM.NotConnectedException: Camera not connected
at void ASCOM.Com.DriverAccess.DynamicAccess.CheckDotNetExceptions(string memberName, Exception e)
at bool ASCOM.Com.DriverAccess.DynamicAccess.TryGetMember(GetMemberBinder binder, out object result)
at object CallSite.Target(Closure, CallSite, object)
at bool ASCOM.Com.DriverAccess.Camera.get_ImageReady()
at bool SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOM.CameraProxy.get_ImageReady() in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap/src/SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOM/CameraProxy.cs:line 212
at object InvokeStub_IASCOMCameraProxy.get_ImageReady(object, object, IntPtr*)
at object System.Reflection.MethodInvoker.Invoke(object obj, IntPtr* args, BindingFlags invokeAttr)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Reflection.MethodInvoker.Invoke(Object obj, IntPtr* args, BindingFlags invokeAttr)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at SharpCap.Base.Utilities.LoggingProxyBase.Invoke(MethodInfo targetMethod, Object[] args) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.Base\Utilities\LoggingProxy.cs:line 34
at generatedProxy_5.get_ImageReady()
at SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOM.NewCameraProxy.GrabFrame(CancellationToken token) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOM\NewCameraProxy.cs:line 818
at SharpCap.Base.CameraProxyBase.GrabFrameWithRateLimit(DateTime startTime, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.Base\CameraProxyBase.cs:line 763
at SharpCap.Base.CameraProxyBase.GrabThreadProc() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.Base\CameraProxyBase.cs:line 649
at System.Threading.Thread.StartHelper.Callback(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with ASCOM driver (Canon450D, 60D)

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for including the error stack trace - it points to the right place to look into the problem, but unfortunately that place is inside the ASCOM.DSLR Ascom driver, not inside SharpCap :/

From the error message, it looks like the ASCOM driver has lost its connection to the camera somehow (more likely a software thing rather than a physical loss of connection), and because of that, it gives an error when SharpCap asks if an image is ready (rather than just replying yes/no).

The only thing you could try in SharpCap is to put SharpCap into still mode before opening the camera (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Live%2 ... ill%20Mode) - that will ensure images are only captured on request, which might just help if the issue arises due to the rapidity of requests being made to the camera. I'm afraid that is a bit of a slender chance though.

The other approach is to follow up on the ASCOM.DSLR thread on cloudy nights to see if anyone else has had similar issues and if they have found any fix/workaround. The main discussion seems to be here : https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7076 ... ntax-sony/ . There are a lot of ad-hoc versions of the ASCOM.DSLR driver with various tweaks and so on that are created from time to time, but no real organized development any more as far as I know, so it's a bit hit and miss.

cheers,

Robin
BojanS

Re: Problem with ASCOM driver (Canon450D, 60D)

Post by BojanS »

admin wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:08 am ...The only thing you could try in SharpCap is to put SharpCap into still mode before opening the camera ...
Hi Robin,
Thank you for the quick reply.
I was playing with this a lot more after posting my question (I could not edit my post because it was not approved and then it was night here Down Under), and yes, I found that the method you described works..
Actually, the moment SC crashes is when I try to change the mode from "still" to "live" (with camera connected).
Also when I try to take image with ROI.
It seems the guys on CN (FearLOrd) did some updates a year ago.. so there is a hope they will eventually fix this.