Live Stack Save and Reset Question

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
russ75

Live Stack Save and Reset Question

Post by russ75 »

I just upgraded to 4.1 and have a live stacking problem that I didn't have in 4.0.

Specifically, when using the "Save and Reset . . ." feature, I get the error messages shown in the screenshot below. I have tried multiple things to correct this with no luck.

With 4.0, I could set the save-reset time and at the end of the specified time interval I would automatically get a folder with a 16 and 32 bit fit file, a subfolder with raw images (fit or png), and a subfolder with an unprocessed png image and a png image with display stretch. In 4.1, I have to press "yes" in the "confirm overwrite" box, to get all this. If I press "no," all I get are the raw frames. How can I fix this so: (1) I don't get the output file overwrite error bar; and (2) I don't have to be present to press "yes" at the end of every save-reset cycle to get what I used to get automatically in 4.0?

I suspect I may have missed something in the file name or output format settings, but I can't figure out what it is. I am stumped.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

- Russ
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live Stack Save and Reset Question

Post by admin »

Hi Russ,

check your 'Filename' settings to see if there is a warning there about the patterns you are using for filename generation.

Older versions of SharpCap let you set up filenames in a way that would cause over-writing of files if (for instance) you captured two stacks of the same target on the same night. SharpCap 4.1 is more careful about this - it will not overwrite without prompting, and will warn you about bad settings if you go to the filename settings (in fact it will not allow you to save the changed settings until you have fixed the issue).

cheers,

Robin
russ75

Post by russ75 »

Hello Robin,

Thank you for your quick response.

I have tinkered with the file names in the filenames settings area with no luck. I haven't seen any red warnings except while I am typing a new file name and its attributes are not yet complete.

I have changed filenames and used different Desktop folders for saving. Always the same result. I have even uninstalled and re-installed 4.1.

Could you please tell me where the image files are located that are being overwritten? I seem to be having some conceptual difficulty understanding where the "processed" image files are located that are being overwritten at the end of a save-reset cycle (in my case, usually a png image and a png image with display stretch).

As I understand it, when the time interval hits the specified number of minutes, a new subfolder is created with its own name being the current time, and all the newly created stacked images from that cycle are deposited into that empty subfolder.

In my case, the 16 and 32 bit fit images, as well as the raw frames, are all being deposited into the subfolder just fine. But, the "processed" image sub-subfolder inside the subfolder won't accept the two newly created "processed" images until I confirm that I want to overwrite some pre-existing images that are already there. I don't understand how images are already waiting in the "processed" sub-subfolder that was just created specifically to receive the newly created "processed" images. I would think that the newly created "processed" image sub-subfolder would be empty at this point.

I hope this explanation makes some sense.

- Russ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Russ,

if you look at the orange notification bar at the top of the screen after you reply 'No' to overwrite, that has a clickable link that will take you to the folder where the file already exists.

Possibly the easiest thing would be for you to send me a screenshot showing your filename options as they are currently set up - that will give me enough info to understand what might be going on and replicate the problem if necessary.

cheers,

Robin
russ75

Post by russ75 »

Hi Robin,

Sorry to say that the orange notification bar disappears faster than I can get to it with the cursor after I click on "no" in the overwrite confirmation box. Consequently, I couldn't use it to find the phantom preexisting image file.

As you requested, below is a screenshot of the Filenames Settings area. It is loaded with the default values. Neither these nor any other file name changes I tried did anything to eliminate the overwrite confirmation box.

One other symptom I just discovered that might possibly help in the diagnosis of this problem is if I de-select "Auto Save on Clear/Close," the overwrite confirmation box does not appear and all the 16 and 32 bit fit files, raw files, and one processed png image file are saved as they were in version 4.0. SharpCap then automatically moves on to the next save-reset cycle as it did in version 4.0. The only thing missing from the saved files is the processed png image "WithDisplayStretch" (see screenshot below).

If "Auto Save on Clear/Close" is selected, however, the problem persists. The overwrite confirmation box appears and I must manually intervene and select "yes." But, this gives me just what I need: e.g., both the basic png file AND the "WithDisplayStretch" png file in the "processed" folder.

I'm hoping this additional information gives you some better insight into the problem. I'm certainly flummoxed.

-Russ

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Russ,

OK, for the notification that vanishes, you can look in the log, since all notifications get stored to the log.

I think I am starting to understand now - I'm wondering if this is expected behaviour, or at least arguably expected behaviour.

The filename settings are all fine, but if you think about the live stack processed settings, the name of the file that is saved only changes when a new frame is added to the stack - the date and time tags are filled in with the date and time when the stack started, so they don't change. The number of stacked frames and the total exposure only change when a new frame is added.

So, if you manually save, then close/reset the stack with 'auto save on close' turned on, and you close/reset quickly after manually saving so no more frames are added, the filename generated for the manual save and the automatic save will be the same, so you get the 'overwrite?' prompt. If you have changed the stretch/colour adjustments/enhancements setting between the first save and closing then the two images (the already saved one and the one about to be saved) may be different, otherwise they will be identical and it doesn't matter if you overwrite or not, since you will be overwriting with the same data.

If you want to get rid of the prompt and still have auto save turned on, try putting the {AutoSave} tag into the 'Live Stack Processed' template (as it is in the basic live stack one). I think that should help, since it will mean the autosave file uses a different name.

If you are getting this prompt without the manual saving first that I have described then something else is going on in addition to the above and I will have to think a bit harder about it!

cheers,

Robin
russ75

Post by russ75 »

Hi Robin,

Your explanation makes sense if I was attempting a manual save first, but I am not. I do not do a manual save at all, and I do not want to do one. What I am hoping for is for SharpCap 4.1 to save a png image file and a png file “WithDisplayStretch” in the “processed” subfolder automatically at the end of each save-reset cycle with no manual “yes” overwrite intervention required.

SharpCap 4.0 did this. But, 4.1 seems to interrupt the automatic save into the “processed” folder with a “yes” or “no” request to confirm an overwrite of a png image file that is already in the subfolder.

Per your suggestion, I looked at the log. I am not a very technical person and this is the first time I’ve looked at a SharpCap log so what I have to say may be way off base. Please bear with me.

From what I see in the log, and with my limited ability to interpret what I am seeing, it appears that SharpCap 4.1 first writes a plain stacked png file to the “processed” subfolder. Then, instead of moving on to write an “as seen” png file with the string “WithDisplayStretch” appended to the file name, SharpCap 4.1 apparently attempts to write another plain png file with the unannotated png file name it just used. SharpCap 4.1 then presents the “overwrite” box asking for yes/no permission to overwrite the existing png file with a file of the same name.

If “yes” is selected, SharpCap 4.1 overwrites the plain png file and then goes into an “as seen” routine that appends a string (I assume “WithDisplayStretch”) to a png file of what is likely just a screenshot of the displayed image and saves it. The end result is two png image files in the “processed” subfolder. One is named something like “Stack_6frames_360s,” and the other is “Stack_6frames_360s_WithDisplayStretch.”

If “no” is selected, no “processed” subfolder is generated, and no png files are saved.

I don’t know if any of this makes sense, but let me give you an example of what I am trying to do. Hopefully this will help.

I take images of asteroids. To do so, I slew my telescope to a field containing the target asteroids. I will typically stay on this field for one or two hours. I will live stack a series of six 60-second images over the course of the 1-2 hours. To do this, I will have the save-reset interval set to save a stack of 60-second images every six minutes.

Using SharpCap 4.0, every six minutes, the following items are saved in a discrete time-labeled folder: (1) a 16 and 32 bit fit file; (2) a subfolder named “raw files” containing a series of raw png or fit files; and (3) a “processed” subfolder containing a plain png image file and a png image file annotated as “WithDisplayStretch.” I use the fit files for photometry and astrometry and I use the png files for creating animated images of the asteroids. During one recent session, I reverted to using SharpCap version 4.0. The screenshot below shows what the “processed” folder contained at the end of one completely automatic six-minute save-reset cycle (no yes/no overwrite permission required).

SharpCap 4.1 has no problem saving the fit images and raw file images automatically, just like 4.0. The problem seems to be saving files to the “processed” subfolder, specifically the “seen as” or “WithDisplayStretch” image. Because SharpCap 4.1 requires a manual overwrite “yes” every six minutes to get both images into the “processed” images subfolder, I am tethered to the computer. With SharpCap 4.0, however, the “processed” images subfolder was automatically populated at the end of every six-minute cycle and I was able to step away from the computer for brief intervals.

By the way, the comments in the log indicate that the “overwrite” prompt usually appears when there is not enough hard drive space available. I’ve double checked, and that is not an issue here.

Again, I hope this lengthy explanation is somewhat intelligible. If you think it might be helpful, I can send you an example log.

Regards,
Russ

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Russ,

let me see if I can make this break myself - if not, I will come back and ask you for the log. I'm scratching my head as to why it would save twice in that case, but if I can make it break I will work it out.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, now I have it - silly issue on my side... Fix in the next update.

Sorry for the runaround on this.

cheers,

Robin
russ75

Post by russ75 »

Robin,

Fantastic! I'm looking forward to the next update. :D

Regards,

- Russ