Sensor Analysius freezing

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
mjd6191

Sensor Analysius freezing

Post by mjd6191 »

Hi All,
I just updated my Sharpcap pro to the latest version, and I wanted to create a a new sensor analysis for a variety of reasons, one being I wnated to run through the process again in anticipation of a new scope arriving this weekend.
The issue I am having is when I get to the point where it asks me to cover the sensor, I cover the scope/sensor and then it just stays stuck at waiting for the sensor to be covered, it never allows me to proceed, so I acnnot finish a new analysis. IWith the old version it worked fine.
Equipment info:
Windows 11 on an i5 with 16 gb ram
SVBony 605CC
Orion Skyview Pro 8"

Anyone else having this issue? Should I down grade to the previous version?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysius freezing

Post by admin »

Hi,

does the image on screen go dark when you cover the sensor? The condition for allowing you to proceed to the next step is that the mean pixel value of the selected area should be below 50% of the maximum pixel value, so the only way I can think of that it would stick at that point is if the image stays bright, or if the camera gets stuck so that no new frames are coming in (frame count not increasing in the bottom left corner).

cheers,

Robin
mjd6191

Post by mjd6191 »

So, I was doing a sensor analysis with the camera on the telescope. When I covered the scope (8" newtonian reflector) nothing would happen. I removed the camera from the focuser and put it's lens cap on and it allowed me to proceed. I guess my question is: In the past, I just did the analysis off of the scope, using a light panel directly to the camera. I thought that that would give me a false analysis since it was not the "real" imaging train. For the dark measurement I guess it doesn't matter on or off, but which is correct?
I did notice that the full well values were significantly different in the two methods as you can see in the two charts, one from May (off the scope using light panel) and the other from yesterday, on scope using natural; sunlight.
Attachments
16 bit 12_21_2023.rtf
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
16 bit 5_12_2023.txt
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
mjd6191

Post by mjd6191 »

And in answer to your original question, no the image never went dark until I removed the camera from the telescope.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I wonder if the camera glitched at (or near) the point where you covered the sensor, so that SharpCap stopped getting updated images?

How you illuminate the sensor when performing the analysis doesn't matter - on the scope, off the scope with no lens, off the scope with a CS mount or camera lens, all will give the same results, since it's the sensor that we are testing, not the optics attached to it. The only real requirements are

* Being able to adjust the illumination level to get a brightness that allows you to proceed at the beginning
* Having relatively even illumination over the area being measured (doesn't matter if other parts of the frame are darker or brighter)
* Keeping a constant illumination level during the light measurement parts
* Ensuring no light gets in during the dark measurements.

I usually use a CS/C mount lens - you can get some 25mm ones with adjustable iris so that you can change the light levels. If necessary a T2 male to CS female adapter ring allows that to connect to a camera with T thread connections.

cheers,

Robin