Touch friendly UI/UX

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
flyingbarron

Touch friendly UI/UX

Post by flyingbarron »

Hi,

I often use my tablet to control SharpCap running on a minipc.

The RDP works fine but the interface is a little... fiddly, sometimes :)

I'm obviously not asking for a complete re-implementation/re-skin, but there are two things I thought of:

1. Perhaps take the "top-ten functions" and implement a limited version of SharpCap with just these functions in a touch friendly UI/UX

2. Touch up a few places (e.g. small scrollbars, some places where data entry is required) to make them touch friendly.

Thanks!

Robert
admin
Site Admin

Re: Touch friendly UI/UX

Post by admin »

Hi Robert,

this is a tricky issue, since making a UI more touch friendly does require quite a different approach to design - at the very least you make things bigger to allow them to be used via touch, which then means you get less things into the same space, which means more pages/screens to hold the things you don't have room for any more. On the other hand, right from the start, SharpCap has been about putting the adjustments you need in front of you if at all possible, rather than tucking them away in pop ups etc (I started writign SharpCap because with webcams you could only adjust the exposure/gain/etc by popping up the camera settings window then dismissing it when your changes were done).

I have a feeling that the people who currently use SharpCap have largely already been filtered down to those who use mouse/keyboard, since it is hard to use via touch. This means I don't want to make significant changes that affect the bulk of (mouse/keyboard) users. It also means that any changes might only benefit a relatively small part of the SharpCap user base.

I suppose in theory some changes could be made if a touch device is detected, but I suspect that a touch device would only be detected if the actual PC has a touch screen, not if using remote desktop from a touch screen device.

Out of interest, what features are you primarily using in SharpCap and having trouble with? It would be good to know in case a pattern does appear with other touch screen/RDP users.

cheers,

Robin
flyingbarron

Post by flyingbarron »

Here's a common example:

When I'm in the Configure Capture screen and I want to change the length of the capture I have two options:

1. Enter a number of frames - and then I need to open the tablet's virtual keyboard (which is fiddly) or
2. Change the exposure time either with the virtual keyboard or use the tiny arrows to slooowly adjust the time - also fiddly

configureCapture.jpg
configureCapture.jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 23845 times

Robert
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks Robert, useful to know. I will keep this issue in mind to see if I can come up with an elegant solution that doesn't impact on other users or tha maintainability of the software.

cheers,

Robin
flyingbarron

Post by flyingbarron »

Thank you!

I'd be happy to be a beta-tester :)

Robert
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Robin, one thing that would nice is that the up buttons for any of the number adjust boxes are too small. I often find myself clicking right out of the box or accidently drifting into the opposite box. Just a little input as long as we on the UX topic.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ahh, that's a tricky one :(

I can add width to the number up/down buttons no problem and in most cases it wouldn't affect the layout much, but height is really the issue and that has more impact on the layout. I guess I could try eating into the vertical gaps between items a few pixels and see how it looks, but if you put things too close together then it impacts strongly on usability/readability of the content.

cheers,

Robin
flyingbarron

Post by flyingbarron »

How about putting them side by side instead of one on top of the other?
Or even on either side of the number instead of both of the right?

sharpcapForTouch.jpg
sharpcapForTouch.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 23482 times

That would keep the same vertical size and make it much easier for "fat fingers" to click the right button.

By the way, if it were a setting "use touch friendly UI - yes/no" then it wouldn't impact people using a larger screen/mouse.

-- Robert
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Robert,

yes, those sorts of things would be possible, it's a matter of balancing the amount of work involved in doing it (and then making sure it doesn't get broken by other changes in the future) with the benefit compared to spending time on other changes... :(

cheers,

Robin