SiTech and Sharpcap

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
hdman1

SiTech and Sharpcap

Post by hdman1 »

It has been awhile since my last visit.
I am trying some new projects, for the past two years I have been using SharpCap for all my imaging, simple manual use for the most part, but now I have been looking at some simple sequences which will require plates solving from SC. I have setup and tested plate solve 2 and verified it works, but when I tried to solve and sync I hit a bump. SC gives me an error: Plate solve failed need FOV the telescope ASCOM driver failed to provide the focal length, As I am not sure if this is SiTech driver or a problem in SC, I decided to post at both forums. Any help is appreciated.

BR
admin
Site Admin

Re: SiTech and Sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi,

this error arises because PlateSolve2 is quite limited in comparison to other plate solving engines, and it needs to know the field of view of the image in order to work (other engines can work out the field of view if necessary). You can set the focal length in SharpCap's plate solving settings if you can't set it in your ASCOM driver.

However, you might want to skip the whole complexity of that and try using SharpCap's own built in plate solving engine - update to the latest version of SharpCap 4.1 and enable 'SharpSolve' as your plate solving engine. The built in index will work down to a field of view of 0.5 by 0.5 degrees, or you can download an extended index to work down to 0.25x0.25 degrees. It should be significantly faster than PlateSolve2 as well...

cheers,

Robin
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Thanks Robin, will give Sharp Solve a shot. If I choose the option to set focal length in SC Then it can't talk to Si Tech and I see no way to set the fl in ps2. So my hope is your suggestion works I got my sequence written finally got a clear night, never saw the platesolve problem coming.......

Br
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Well Robin, I'm back! The sharp solve works BUT, The platesolve and sync are greyed out as well as just sync. The mount is set in hardware. What am I missing now?

BR
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

have you ticked the box to connect the mount in SharpCap so that you see the current mount co-ordinates in the controls on the right? As shown here : https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#GOTO%20Mount%20Control

cheers,

Robin
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Ok, So now I get the dumb ass of the year award! Thanks Robin made an assumption without checking. Feel bad I wasted your time.

BR
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

no worries :)

cheers,

Robin