SynScan and SharpCap

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
g3cwi

SynScan and SharpCap

Post by g3cwi »

I have read lots of posts on getting these two programs talking but no luck.

I have tried the current version of SynScan Pro and an older one. I have installed the ASCOM framework and an ASCOM driver but no luck. Any ideas?

Cheers Richard
admin
Site Admin

Re: SynScan and SharpCap

Post by admin »

Hi Richard,

what stage do you get stuck? Do you see the Synscan option listed in the options shown for 'Select Hardware' in the mount section of the hardware settings? Do you get an error when trying to connect?

cheers,

Robin
g3cwi

Post by g3cwi »

Hi Robin

I seem to be connected. I get the ASCOM SynScan set up
window from SharpCap. That all looks good. Port 11881. The scope control section is live. The az,alt etc display works (it’s seeing the mount) but there is no control of the mount from the scope control panel.

A mystery.

Incidentally, I used SharpCap for the very first time last night and managed to do some EAA. Thanks. But finding the targets was extremely difficult - hence the desire to get the mount and SC communicating.
g3cwi

Post by g3cwi »

Okay. Something odd. When I select a rate in degrees per second it works.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the rates that are labelled '1x', '2x' etc are very slow - those values are multiples of sidereal rate, so 1x means that if you pressed and held the button for 24 hours the telescope would rotate through 360 degrees in that time. 4x means a 360 rotation would take 6 hours and so on. Maybe just too slow to notice, particularly if your mount has backlash in the movements, which would mean it doesn't physically start to move until the backlash is taken up.

cheers,

Robin
greggles91

Post by greggles91 »

not wanting to highjack your thread but also not wanting to start a completely new thread if not necessary, but i'm unable to connect to the synscan app at all through ascom to sharpcap, i just keep getting an error "no mount found".

Would you care to elaborate re your process for connecting the synscan app to sharpcap? alternatively, im happy to create a new post if thats preferred by admin/Robin.

cheers

Greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

no problem joining it to this thread - I hope someone who uses the Synscan app will be along soon to explain how they get it to work.

cheers,

Robin