SharpCap 4.1 on Windows 7 64bit SP1

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
mho

SharpCap 4.1 on Windows 7 64bit SP1

Post by mho »

I have installed SharpCap 4.1 on two Windows 7 64bit with SP1 computers.
One works fine the other one when I try to run SharpCap 4.1 does nothing at all. No error message or anything.
Have tried to run it from the install menu, start menu and desktop icon. Nothing at all happens. Task manager shows nothing also.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
William
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap 4.1 on Windows 7 64bit SP1

Post by admin »

Hi William,

I have seen an odd bug report for the new version get uploaded for Win7.1 that looked to be related to a missing windows DLL on the system. It may be a good idea to make sure all windows updates have run. You can also run 'sfc /scannow' to make windows check that all the system files are in place and are the correct versions (https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/top ... 6e85d4094e).

Beyond that, check to see if a log file is being created by SharpCap, which might happen and give info even if the window never shows. You can also run SharpCap from the command line with the /debuglaunch parameter, which will pop up some message boxes with info as the program loads that helps me understand at what stage the failure is occurring - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Comman ... 0Arguments

cheers,

Robin
mho

Post by mho »

Found this in the application event log:

Description: A .NET application failed.
Application: SharpCap.exe Path: C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit)\SharpCap.exe
Message: Failed to load the dll from [C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit)\hostfxr.dll], HRESULT: 0x80070057 The library hostfxr.dll was found, but loading it from C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit)\hostfxr.dll failed -
Installing .NET prerequisites might help resolve this problem. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=798306

Used the link provided to put on C++ Runtime 2015-2019 and KB3063858.
SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit) now works...

William
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi William,

ah, now that's interesting - I hadn't spotted that :(

I will see if I can work out a way to include those automatically rather than have them as a 'you must also include'.

cheers,

Robin
mho

Post by mho »

Hello Robin,

Until this I did not know the event log was so useful!
Glad I did not have to upgrade the PC to Windows 10.
It is just used in my observatory for imaging and telescope/dome control.

Sincerely,
William
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

looks like I can fix this for the next update to make the installer automatically fetch and install those components if needed (ie on Win 7.1 or 8.1). Since this is quite a rare case (old versions of Windows, no existing version of the runtime packages installed), I will leave it with downloading the packages on demand, rather than putting them inside the main SharpCap installer (which would then become 35Mb bigger for everyone). The downside is that the install will fail if those packages are needed and no internet connection is available (but that's probably better than installing and then failing to run)

cheers,

Robin
KEJ

Post by KEJ »

mho wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:33 pm Found this in the application event log:

Description: A .NET application failed.
Application: SharpCap.exe Path: C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit)\SharpCap.exe
Message: Failed to load the dll from [C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit)\hostfxr.dll], HRESULT: 0x80070057 The library hostfxr.dll was found, but loading it from C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit)\hostfxr.dll failed -
Installing .NET prerequisites might help resolve this problem. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=798306

Used the link provided to put on C++ Runtime 2015-2019 and KB3063858.
SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit) now works...

William
Hi Robin/William

So could I please ask, the .Net prerequisites resolved the issue ? Thanks Keith
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the latest installers will try to grab the required components off of the internet and install them, but this can be done manually too. More details in my reply to the other thread : viewtopic.php?p=39759#p39759

cheers,

Robin