M57 Ring nebula and its faint outer shell (HaRGB)

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

M57 Ring nebula and its faint outer shell (HaRGB)

Post by Menno555 »

Since there seems to be an everlasting period of clouds here (going 8 weeks now :( ), I decided to to some re-processing of older data.
In the is case M57 Ring Nebula.
In 2021 I made captures of it, including Ha with my then new Optolong L-eXtreme filter. The results back then were okay, the outer shell was visible.
But the mixing of Ha and RGB and getting an overall result with core and outer shell visible was not that good.

Forward 2 years in which I learned a lot of more about processing and the result of re-processing are way better :)
It took a lot of effort and experimenting though (especially in Photoshop) to get a balanced result where the core and outer shell were visible.
But after 3 days of "fooling around", I decided this to be the end result (for now ;) ). No reduction, crop only.

M57-2.jpg
M57-2.jpg (440.83 KiB) Viewed 14803 times

Bortle 6/7
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC mount (no guiding)
Baader IR/UV Cut filter
Optolong L-eXtreme filter
Zwo ASI071MC Pro camera

Captured with SharpCap Pro @ -10 Celsius / White balance R50 B50
RGB: 35 x 300 sec / Gain 0 / Offset 4
Ha/OIII: 11 x 600 sec / Gain 200/ Offset 10
turfpit

Re: M57 Ring nebula and its faint outer shell (HaRGB)

Post by turfpit »

Menno

Managing to capture the outer shell on M57 is quite an achievement in my book. Interesting observation that processing the data again after 2 years gives a big improvement. I have found that processing knowledge/skills do evolve over time.

Dave
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Dave :)
Capturing that outer shell isn't actually that difficult. I mean, this is only 11 x 600sec with Ha/OIII and it's showing rather well already.
Below a size reduced crop of that stack with only a auto-stretch with SiriL. That outer shell is already showing.
And if you download it yourself and reduce the Gamma, you'll see the core rather well also.
In my book the (personal) achievement is combining those 2 (the core is HaRGB) into a balanced whole.
And indeed: 2 years more experience makes a lot of difference :D

Menno

Autosave.jpg
Autosave.jpg (271.51 KiB) Viewed 14745 times
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Meno, Nice shot if only we could get more clear nights not sure about your location but the way it's going here we get one clear night a month or so it seems and usually coincides with a full moon right were you don't want it.

Cheers
Nick
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Nick :)
Here it really is very bad for over 8 weeks now. There were some clear nights but (of course) in a week where I was doing some sailing races here.
But it's getting colder here now, so here is hoping :)

Menno