New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

I'm going to try to cover off all the points above in one post - hopefully I won't miss anything... :)

@PeterC65 - 16 bit is very unusual for high speed captures, as @Borodog says, because you are using high gain, all you are doing is recording the noise at higher fidelity, there is pretty much no useful signal in the extra 8 bits of data. The higher frame rates that you can get at 8 bit are almost always preferable to the 16 bit option. The one exception is narrowband solar imaging where you want to capture the (faint) prominences as well as the bright disc in the same capture.

That being said, I hadn't realised until I checked that there was an issue with 16 bit. In fact the stacking was all happening as expected in the background, but the copy of the image back to the display wasn't happening because of a check to see that the display data required was the same size and format as the data from the stack. I have a fix that will at least make it work, but it's not perfect as the colour adjust/saturation is still happening in 8 bit (the sharpening is 16 bit) - I will try to fix it all properly later.

@JohnD - glad you like it :)

@zerolatitude - looking good :)

@Borodog - good call on the display stretch. I have the ringing effect at the edge noted down as something to look into later on to see if I can find a way to minimize/prevent it in the sharpening process.

I've also had a separate report that there is still potentially an issue with ROI being changed causing a crash - I will be looking into that.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Robin,

I'm also in the development group for Wavesharp and I've worked extensively with Dr. David Biggs, who is developing his own astro imaging post-processing tool based on blind deconvolution, and believe me, ringing at the edge of a planet is a thorny problem. Part sharpening artifact, part real diffraction effect. You can also get diffraction-like ringing from some denoising approaches as well. The simplest solution for me has always been to mask or black clip it out. :O)
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

For those that are visual learners rather than big on reading text instructions, I made a quick tutorial video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZp1BkaBUhU
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

Very interesting new tool.
I tested it yesterday with several old films of Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. It works very fine.

For the processing with the wavelets filter ... can you add a common On/Off of all the wavelets filter ?
So we can see with or without the wavelets filter.

In addition ... can you add the blue and red shift for the correction of the atmosphere dispersion ?

Regards,
Jean-Francois
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Common on/off for wavelet section is a great idea.

I believe Robin is already working on RGB Align. Knowing Robin it’s probably done already. ;O)
markj57

Post by markj57 »

I could not get this to work. I had a 400x400 ROI image of Saturn updating at 81fps. I opened the function and saw the menu options. Moving sliders did nothing. The image simply showed the real time SER video. Nothing froze and sharpened. One of the odd things was the Display update rate was 0.0. I could not see how to change that, but noticed in the demo videos the numbers were nonzero. Any ideas?
Attachments
pl1.jpg
pl1.jpg (586.59 KiB) Viewed 272216 times
PeterC65

Post by PeterC65 »

[quote=markj57 post_id=39560 time=1700627892 user_id=2629]
I could not get this to work. I had a 400x400 ROI image of Saturn updating at 81fps. I opened the function and saw the menu options. Moving sliders did nothing. The image simply showed the real time SER video. Nothing froze and sharpened. One of the odd things was the Display update rate was 0.0. I could not see how to change that, but noticed in the demo videos the numbers were nonzero. Any ideas?
[/quote]

I was having the same problem as you with the same symptoms. For me the issue was that I was using 16-bit colour (RAW16) and the planetary stacking function only currently supports 8-bit. Robin is aware of this and is developing a fix.
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Hi Robin,

Couple of things - I tried it using a two monitor view (using a previous SER file) - and although not noted in the documentation - it works as expected with the stacked/ sharpened image appearing on the 2nd monitor.

2nd thing :- Time lapse video - is currently fixed at saving one image per 1 second. Is there any way to add a control to be able to choose the time length between saving? e.g. 5 seconds, 10 seconds etc. It seems it would be an excellent enhancement for getting animations of satellite transits/disappearances etc.

Regards
Neil
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
Mounts: EQ8, EQ5 Pro, Nexstar SLT
Imaging: ASI1600MM-Cool, ASI533MC-Pro, ASI290MM, ASI224MC, Quark, QHY5L-II-M,
Opticstar 82 eyepieces, lots of other stuff
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

markj57 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:38 am I could not get this to work. I had a 400x400 ROI image of Saturn updating at 81fps. I opened the function and saw the menu options. Moving sliders did nothing. The image simply showed the real time SER video. Nothing froze and sharpened. One of the odd things was the Display update rate was 0.0. I could not see how to change that, but noticed in the demo videos the numbers were nonzero. Any ideas?
Yes, you are in RAW16, which is almost always a mistake for planetary imaging. Switch to RAW8.
TDunnavant

Post by TDunnavant »

Hello, folks,

I'm able to planetary stack when capturing SER files in RAW8 format, but not when I'm capturing using RAW16.

Is this expected behavior?