Dithering with Sequencer Tool

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
OAVP6554084@

Dithering with Sequencer Tool

Post by OAVP6554084@ »

Dear Sharcap Forum Admin

Would you please help me with this:

The Sharcap 4.1 User Manuel under Guiding setting section says: "dithering while live stacking or running a capture sequence using the Sequencer Tool or Sequence Planner"

In this sense, I would like to ask, If I Set a capture session with the Sharcap-Configure Capture/Select Capture Limit/ Number of Frames : 35 / Time Limit : 60 sec each frame. The dithering it will work with the settings parameters I typed in Sharcap Settings ?

The Capture menu/Configure Capture is what the User Manuel name: "capture sequence" (Sequencer Tool)

Looking forward to hearing from you

I really appreciate your support on this

Orlando
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dithering with Sequencer Tool

Post by admin »

Hi Orlando,

when capturing using the 'Start Capture' button on the toolbar and selecting a limit on the frames/time to capture (or no limit for that matter), SharpCap *does not* perform dithering operations, or even connect to the guiding application to see if guiding is active.

Dithering capabilities are only present in the live stacking code (enabled in the guiding tab of the Live Stacking UI) or when capturing using the Deep Sky Sequence planner (an equivalent to the configuration created by the deep sky sequence planner can also be created manually in the SharpCap sequence editor).

Unfortunately this means that the sort of capture that you are enquiring about will not perform dithering, sorry.

Robin
OAVP6554084@

Post by OAVP6554084@ »

Hello Robin

I am grateful for your clear and precise answer, which exactly answers the question I had.

However, I need to find a way to guide and dither my mount whenever I take my captures from the 'Start Capture' button in the toolbar in Sharpap Pro without using the live stacking code or the Deep Sky sequence planner, since I don't use PHD2 or Lacerta to guide and dither.

I am really appreciate the time you invest on my inquiry. :D

Have a Great Day

Orlando
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Orlando,

I guess the next question is... What are you using for guiding/dithering?

cheers,

Robin
OAVP6554084@

Post by OAVP6554084@ »

Hello Robin

Thank you very much for your follow up. Sorry I have not reply to you before.

I recently get the Starsense Autoguider from Celestron. The User Manual explains about the enable PHD Mode in the settings. But this Mode is not available yet.
I open a ticket with Celestron Support asking them about this feature. The reply I got was: " Thank you for contacting Celestron's technical support. My name is Johnny and I would be happy to assist you.

This feature is not publicly available yet. It is currently in internal beta testing.

I can notify you once it has been released to the public.

Johnny O
Celestron Technical Support"

So, It means that I have to wait for this feature to be available. Time : ???????
But I have already start using the Deep Sky Sequencer Planner, I think the dithering feature could be enable from the Starsense Autoguider according with the User Manual. Waiting for better conditions for testing. Currently the Humidity is too high.
Any thought or advice would be appreciate it.

Additionally Robin, if you do not mind ;) I would like to ask you what does it mean : "Orientation : up is 198.9 degrees E of N" from the Plate Solve Only feature report.

Sorry I include an extra question but I had in my mind this topic for asking. Really I did my own research on the Internet, but I have not find any valuable information about that yet.

Looking forward to hearing from you

All the best

Orlando
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Orlando,

sorry to hear that you are having to wait for an update from Celestron to get the functionality that you want - that's an expensive piece of equipment for them to sell without having that support implemented :( I am guessing that in the end there will be a piece of software that runs on the PC that is communicating with the autoguider and also makes an API server available that is compatible with the PHD2 one - at least that's the way I would implement this if I was writing the software...

Onto the easy bit... the orientation of the image.

Your orientation reads 'up is 198.9 degrees east of north'. What that means is this...

Imagine looking at the sky at the point you are viewing in the telescope. Now imagine that there is a small arrow drawn on the sky, starting from that point - the arrow initially points towards the north celestial pole. If you rotate that arrow clockwise through 198.9 degrees (just over half a full rotation), it now points in the direction that is up in your image.

Hope that makes sense,

Robin
OAVP6554084@

Post by OAVP6554084@ »

Hello Robin

Thank you very much for your very right reply. I really appreciate it.

Hopefully this software be available soon. I would like to add, if the User Manual says that this feature is available for enable, it is very dissapointed is not. Is frustrated after having bought a very expensive guider system. But it is just my humble opinion as a customer.

About the Plate solve orientation : Great It make sense for me. :D . I got you. Not easy to find an explanation like this.

Thank you very much for your help and support.

Have a great day.

Orlando