Read a SER film in Folder Monitor Camera

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Jean-Francois

Read a SER film in Folder Monitor Camera

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello,

Is it possible to read a film (for example a SER film) in the Folder Monitor Camera ?

I tried it, but no film data format can be selected.
I was sure that I read this capability some time ago in the forum.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
Jean-Francois

Re: Read a SER film in Folder Monitor Camera

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello (me again :-)),

I found it ... it is not in Folder Monitor Camera, but in Test Camera 2 (High Speed).

I tested it ... but it does not work with 16 bit SER film. It works fine with 8 bit SER.

One problem is that the Jupiter film is no more working properly after a test with a 16 bit SER film.
It produces several crash of SharpCap (you will receive several automatic reports).

I can used several occultation films for some test of future script.
But it is not convenient if it is only with 8 bit SER film. For the occultation of Betelgeuse in 12. December, I will use the 16 bit film (or series of FITS).

Regards,
Jean-Francois
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jean-Francois,

hmm - I just tested with a 16 bit SER file and it does display the file, but the file is dropped to 8 bit when loaded - no crashes. That was colour RGGB 16 bit in the SER file. I will try mono too and look at the crash reports to see if I can work out what is going wrong there (I can switch back to Jupiter with no crash as well).

cheers,

Robin
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

Correct ... with the 16bit SER it displays the film with lower bit (should be 8 bit).

Concerning the Jupiter film ... I install today the last version and I have this:
Jupiter_film_lower_bit.png
Jupiter_film_lower_bit.png (242.24 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
I restart SharpCap 4.1 several times, I use the other Test Camera 1, but nothing is changed.
I test SharpCap 4.0 ... and surprise the same ... wrong bit depth on the Jupiter image.

That is only after testing with the very old SharpCap 3.2 that Jupiter was back ... and back in SharpCap 4.1 too.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jean-Francois,

do you have SharpCap set up to remember camera settings from session to session? I wonder if that could be responsible for the odd image appearing across versions (the saved settings are a hidden capture profile, so all versions would use them).

I have actually managed to fix the 16 bit option for the planetary camera since posting here (I've been working with that test camera a bit in the last week on a new feature, so ended up tidying up that issue and a couple of others).

cheers,

Robin
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

Yes, it seems so.
The "Automatically restore last used camera settings when opening a camera" is activated in all 3 version (4.1, 4.0 and 3.2).

Thanks for the update of the Test Camera with 16 bit SER film.

Regards,
Jean-Francois