Stored Focuser Positions

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
rac19

Stored Focuser Positions

Post by rac19 »

It would be useful if a number of named focuser positions could be stored and recalled. For SCT users especially, there are a number of focuser positions for various optical configurations associated with reducer, Barlow (Powermate) and HyperStar optical elements, Named focuser locations for each would save time otherwise wasted searching for each position when the configuration is changed.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stored Focuser Positions

Post by admin »

Hi,

nice suggestion, thanks.

As an interim thing, in case you didn't know, it's possible to type in a focuser position into the focuser position box and then press <Enter> or <Tab> to make SharpCap move the focuser to that position. That means that a post-it note of the values for each configuration would perform roughly the same job ;)

cheers,

Robin
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Robin here is something to think about...

If I create a profile called 9.25 HyperStar could that profile could then do the following:
1) Change the FL from whatever to the profiles 525mm (I so often forget to update the FL)
2) Change the Focus Position from whatever to Approximate best focus for my HyperStar light train

If I create a profile called 9.25 Native...

If I create a profile called 8.25 FR/FF...

Do you see where I am going with this? It would solve two must change settings to their appropriate setting in one fell swoop. In other words can you change profiles to include FL and Focus Position?

Randall
Last edited by kaymann on Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Randall,

I see where you are heading - it's more a 'hardware profile' than a 'capture profile', but it's something worth thinking about. At the moment I have a way to have different hardware configurations via completely different sets of SharpCap settings that you can choose between only via command line arguments. It's kind of OK, but I know it's not ideal and that I will need to do something better about it in the end, and this sort of idea might end up being part of the 'something'.

cheers,

Robin
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

admin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:57 pm Hi Randall,

I see where you are heading - it's more a 'hardware profile' than a 'capture profile', but it's something worth thinking about. At the moment I have a way to have different hardware configurations via completely different sets of SharpCap settings that you can choose between only via command line arguments. ...
For a an intermediate solution could you provide a CLI solution template so I can create three different icons one for each light train...

Forgetting to change the settings for my three light trains is my biggest hassle right now especially when fails occur and I realize I just wasted valuable observing time.
carlomuccini

Post by carlomuccini »

admin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:57 pm
At the moment I have a way to have different hardware configurations via completely different sets of SharpCap settings that you can choose between only via command line arguments. It's kind of OK, but I know it's not ideal and that I will need to do something better about it in the end, and this sort of idea might end up being part of the 'something'.
No, it's not exactly comfortable; It would be nice to have a control drop down list to save/load the current settings

I use two different filter wheels and creating the link on the desktop isn't exactly within everyone's reach
"C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.1 (64 bit)\SharpCap.exe" /instance 2

Carlo
Rocket_Guy

Post by Rocket_Guy »

Another thing you could do is use the sequencer to make a simple script like:

SEQUENCE
FOCUSER MOVE TO 12345
END SEQUENCE

You would create a number of similar scripts, one for each optical setup, and name them appropriately (e.g ASI678+barlow). Then when you change the optics you simply go to the sequencer and run the appropriate script.

Bill
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Rocket_Guy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:08 pm Another thing you could do is use the sequencer to make a simple script like:

SEQUENCE
FOCUSER MOVE TO 12345
END SEQUENCE

You would create a number of similar scripts, one for each optical setup, and name them appropriately (e.g ASI678+barlow). Then when you change the optics you simply go to the sequencer and run the appropriate script.

Bill
Excellent is there a script to change the focal length? Therefore combining the two would be perfect
Rocket_Guy

Post by Rocket_Guy »

Not sure what you mean by changing the focal length since that is a fixed number which is characteristic of your telescope. In answer to your question, I will assume that you want to do an autofocus after you get near to your desired focuser position. In that case, assuming that your nominal focus position is 10000, you would do something like:

SEQUENCE
AUTOFOCUS FROM 9500 TO 10500 STEP COUNT 10 BACKLASH 100
END SEQUENCE

Best, Bill
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Rocket_Guy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:21 pm Not sure what you mean by changing the focal length since that is a fixed number which is characteristic of your telescope. In answer to your question, I will assume that you want to do an autofocus after you get near to your desired focuser position. In that case, assuming that your nominal focus position is 10000, you would do something like:

SEQUENCE
AUTOFOCUS FROM 9500 TO 10500 STEP COUNT 10 BACKLASH 100
END SEQUENCE

Best, Bill
When I change from HyperStar (FL 525) to Native (FL 2350) to Reducer (FL 1480) I am changing the effective Focal length of my scope. With ASTAP that makes all the difference in the world in a successful plate solve... It is the FL changes that are driving the focus position changes.

So to be efficient not having to look them up and change both of these at the same time is what we are looking for. In NINA these are done in your opening profile. We are looking for something similar here.