QHY5III485C only 8-bit color in bin2?

Craigar

QHY5III485C only 8-bit color in bin2?

Post by Craigar »

I'm using the driver from
QHYCCD_Win_AllInOne.23.05.09.21

I only get either RGB24=8bit color or greyscale when selecting RAW16 in bin2 mode?

[QHY5III485C (47a84e4bab960d52)]
FrameType=Light
Debayer Preview=On
Output Format=FITS files (*.fits)
Binning=2x2
Capture Area=800x600
Colour Space=RAW16
Pan=824
Tilt=532
Read Mode=LOW GAIN MODE
AUTOEXPOSURE=0
AUTOWHITEBALANCE=Off
Force Still Mode=Off
Enable Live Broadcast=Off
USB Traffic=0
Offset=0
Frame Rate Limit=240 fps
Gain=22
Exposure=8.1964ms
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=72
White Bal (G)=52
White Bal (R)=60
Contrast=0
Brightness=0
Gamma=0.8192680201154814

and if I select "Colour Space=RAW16" bin2 it looks grey scale with some color "artifacts" ALTHOUGH bin3 DOES color?
Another less important to me anomaly is if I save as a .tif it appers greyscale in all modes?

Thank You
Craig
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY5III485C only 8-bit color in bin2?

Post by admin »

Hi Craig,

well, the monochrome output files are the easy bit - that is expected when saving a RAW image, since the colour information is encoded in the different values of neighbouring pixels (some are detecting red, some blue, some green). If you look closely then you will see a grid pattern on the saved image at the pixel scale. You need to process the saved images through a piece of software that can recover the colour information via debayering. See this thread for a more thorough description : viewtopic.php?t=254

As for the image going practically monochrome in bin2x2, I suspect that is sadly a bug in the QHY code that is handling binning for your camera. I don't see the same effect when testing here with my QHY585C, which QHY see as an update to the older 485C. All the code on the SharpCap side will be the same for the two cameras, so the difference in behaviour is very likely to be down to the QHY code :(
Screenshot 2023-11-11 152647.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-11 152647.jpg (228.27 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
You don't mention which version of SharpCap you are using, so I would suggest trying the very latest SharpCap 4.1 if you are not already using it, as that may have newer versions of the QHY software than SharpCap 4.0.

It's also worth knowing that binning for CMOS cameras is entirely software binning, rather than the hardware 'collect electrons from multiple pixels and read them all out in one go' binning that CCD cameras used. Even what some manufacturers call 'hardware binning' is software binning done on the camera rather than on the PC. So, what you gain from using binning that cannot equivalently be achieved in post-processing is limited to :

* Smaller saved file sizes
* Higher frame rates for cameras with 'hardware binning' options (does not apply to QHY).

cheers,

Robin
Craigar

Post by Craigar »

Thank You Robin! ,

I am using "SharpCapInstall-4.1.11062.0-64bit" and knowing that CMOS is not true electron bin like a CCD the main reason I wanted it is to save space and transfer time via USB stick or micro SD card. I know that .fits need debayering and learned yesterday from your good tut that PiPP will try to debayer other formats - and will handle SC's .tif - very nice!

Thanks
Craig
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Craig,

try updating to a newer version of SharpCap 4.1 available from the downloads page - there has been an QHY SDK update since the verison you are using, and that might just have a fix for your issue in it.

cheers,

Robin