ASI120mm mini guide camera gain with PHD2

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
jlarysz

ASI120mm mini guide camera gain with PHD2

Post by jlarysz »

I'm using a ZWO ASI120mm mini as a guide camera. My guide software is PHD2 and my camera management software is SharpCap.

PHD2 does not recognize the ASI120 as having a settable gain - it simply does not show the option in the camera settings menu. SharpCap has no problem at all, and allows a gain setting up to 100 units (I'm guessing this is a percentage).

What am I doing wrong? My guide image is noisy and I would like to run at a lower gain.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI120mm mini guide camera gain with PHD2

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't have that exact ZWO camera, but I just tried with a different model and PHD2 shows me the gain control for that in the 'camera specific properties' box on the 'Camera' tab of the brain window. Do make sure that you have chosen the camera via the 'ZWO ASI Camera' option in PHD2, which is right at the bottom of the list.

I would also suggest checking that you have the latest version of PHD2 installed - if you have done all of that and still no success then you may have to ask on the PHD2 discussion board : https://groups.google.com/g/open-phd-guiding

cheers,

Robin
jlarysz

Re: ASI120mm mini guide camera gain with PHD2

Post by jlarysz »

That fixed it! I was not using the ASCOM driver properly.