New Platesolver tool, questions.

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Desbarry

New Platesolver tool, questions.

Post by Desbarry »

Hi Robin, a few questions regarding the new plate solver. So ive been using ASCOM/EQMOD in conjunction with Cartes Du Ceil. I downloaded the index files for All Sky Plate solver based on my cameras pixel size/chip dimensions and focal length. So my process is to click on a target in CDC and hit slew. Off the mount goes and I get a prompt "is scope pointing at x" etc then if its not i hit the bullseye icon and Sharpcap recentres the target (usually)

Lately since Ive been using my new Hyperstar my platesolving keeps failing/or i get ascom cannot sync to target. I suspect the following. My scope/pier home position is higher than my observatory roof, this is so the view can clear the walls, not an issue when the roof is off but i then have to manually reposition the scope lower down so i can get the roof back on. When i take the roof off the following time i manually by eye have to put it back to the home position.

Now if i am off slightly would this affect the eqmod pointing database so much that my plate solving would fail? I noticed today when i installed the newest Sharpcap in the settings the default solver is this new one, not ASPS so how does the new one work in conjunction with my setup and the bullseye icon in the mount control panel?

Thanks Robin.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Platesolver tool, questions.

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's not supposed to change the default solving engine to SharpSolve unless the current selection isn't valid - I will keep an eye out for that to see if it's just a one-off or if it is happening to more people.

There are two possible problems that you are having

1) Plate solving fails - this can be because:

* Not enough stars detected
* Field of view is not in the range that the plate solver is searching (or not in the range of installed index files)
* The telescope is pointing to a position that is outside the search area (within 15 degrees of mount when using 'plate solve and sync').

2) Plate solving works but EQMOD rejects the sync command - this happens if the distance between the EQMOD position and the plate solve position is too large (I can't quite recall what the limit is for this).

It sounds as though you may have been getting a mix of these - certainly if your misalignment due to adjusting the position of the mount is large, either could happen.

The new SharpCap plate solver is fairly relaxed about the image scale - as long as the field of view is above the minimum (0.5 by 0.5 degrees) and isn't more than about 6 or 7 degrees across then it should work.

cheers,

Robin
Desbarry

Post by Desbarry »

Robin, I suspect its the third "The telescope is pointing to a position that is outside the search area (within 15 degrees of mount when using 'plate solve and sync').
As im using hyperstar and an Altair 26C im getting about 2.55 degrees by 1.71 degrees enough to fit M31, im using a Celestron C925 with Hyperstar 4 so my focal length is 525mm.

So should I manually configure platesolver to use my databases downloaded by All Sky Plate Solver or does it try a different one if the first solver fails?

Thanks Robin. Derek
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Derek,

if you set up SharpCap to use ASPS and also set the 'Focal Length' choice to 'do not use', ASPS should use all the installed databases for its search.

Currently SharpCap will only use one plate solving engine, so if you select SharpSolve and that doesn't work, SharpCap doesn't try ASPS or some other alternative.

cheers,

Robin
Desbarry

Post by Desbarry »

Robin, i think i checked "do not use" so will see.
Thanks Robin.