A more seamless and unobtrusive auto-plate solver

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
bokemon

A more seamless and unobtrusive auto-plate solver

Post by bokemon »

I've been using the Push-to assistant along with telescope simulator in Stellarium and it works well to achieve what I want. But really, all I need is for the little "plate solve and resync" button in the mount control section to loop. The problem with using the push-to assistance is that it opens up a big window that blocks the guidescope display of the stars, and certain buttons, like the reticule, don't work any more. I don't need sharpcap to tell me how much to move since I am monitoring the mount position inside Stellarium.

A related feature request is if Sharpcap can somehow "internalize" the ASTAP plate solver. (I guess it makes calls to an external program?) Currently, the plate solving interrupts my other windows programs, e.g. even inside Stellarium it will make the mouse cursor turn into the hourglass. And multiple ASTAP icons show up and disappear in the Windows taskbar, making it hard to actually click on some other icon..
admin
Site Admin

Re: A more seamless and unobtrusive auto-plate solver

Post by admin »

Hi,

you can switch to using the command line version of Astap, which helps with the 'Astap pops to the front every time'. Astap_cli is downloadable from the main astap site and then you copy it to the same folder as the normal astap.exe and configure sharpcap to use it in the plate solving settings. The Astronomy.net based solvers (ASPS, Astrotortilla, Ansvr) are also less intrusive, but slower.

As for the plate solving loop, you could just set up something in the sequencer to do that, then run the sequence and cancel when you are done. By default the sequencer locks the UI, but there is a special step to disable the lock.

cheers,

Robin
bokemon

Post by bokemon »

It seems that the sequence aborts when a single plate solve fails, e.g. when it takes a frame in the middle of movement.
Is there a way for sharpcap to do a cursory evaluation for streaked stars before sending it over to the plate solver?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

right now no, but it is something worth considering. The approaches to deal with this at the moment are

* Adjust the mount settle delay in the hardware settings to allow a longer time after the slew is complete before SharpCap considers the mount settled
* Use a retry step in the sequence to allow for the need to retry a plate solve

If you can get it to happen fairly consistently, do let me know, as I have tried quite hard to make sure that it will ignore frames that are captured while the mount is moving (but if the camera is buffering frames then I may not know - QHY cameras in live mode are known to do this).

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

actually, I was already working on an internal plate solving engine when you first posted, but didn't want to announce it until it was ready - see this post for details of 'SharpSolve' : viewtopic.php?t=7122

cheers,

Robin
bokemon

Post by bokemon »

admin wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:11 pm Hi,

right now no, but it is something worth considering. The approaches to deal with this at the moment are

* Adjust the mount settle delay in the hardware settings to allow a longer time after the slew is complete before SharpCap considers the mount settled
* Use a retry step in the sequence to allow for the need to retry a plate solve

If you can get it to happen fairly consistently, do let me know, as I have tried quite hard to make sure that it will ignore frames that are captured while the mount is moving (but if the camera is buffering frames then I may not know - QHY cameras in live mode are known to do this).

cheers,

Robin
Since I'm using this as a "push to assistant" substitute, sharpcap does not know when the mount is going to move.