Could not read image file

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Could not read image file

Post by admin »

Hi,

two possibilities here

1) Another incompatibility with FITS written by Ekos - I would need to have one of the problem FITS files to check it out.

2) Timing issues - SharpCap could be trying to read the FITS file while Ekos is still writing it. This only applies if you are getting SharpCap to read files that Ekos has just written out. There is a 'new frame delay' slider in the folder monitor camera to make it wait longer before opening newly added files to help with this.

cheers,

Robin
iooo

Post by iooo »

Hi,

it is surely option 1, because the error appears even if I copy fits to another place and try to stack copied ones. Here are sample files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for sharing :)

One of the files works, but the other two are about 60kb bigger than the working one and it looks like they have additional rubbish at the end of the file after the image. I think that strictly speaking the file should stop after the image (or have another image). Either way, I will try to work out a way to work around the problem.

cheers,

Robin
iooo

Post by iooo »

Thank you very much. It seems that Ekos does not comply with standards regarding fits format. I was using SharpCap about a year ago and it worked without problems.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, the issue seems to be that there is extra data after the image in the FITS files. When I dealt with this previously, the extra data was all zeros, so I wrote code to deal with that situation. In your frames, it's mostly (but not all) zeros. I suspect the extra data on the end is just rubbish (perhaps a chunk of memory that gets written to the end of the file unintentionally by Ekos).

Anyway, I have added a hopefully more robust fix where it will ignore extra data after an image in a FITS file as long as the extra data is less than 64kb in length. I'm hoping to publish an update to SharpCap 4.1 today that will contain that fix.

cheers,

Robin
iooo

Post by iooo »

Hi,

thanks a lot for the new release, it works perfectly. I use SharpCap live stacking feature for preview and it do that job really excellently. What a great piece of software.

Thanks again.

iooo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

glad to hear that the fix has sorted the problem for you. I suppose really it would be a nice idea to file a bug report against Ekos to see if they can fix the problem in the writing of the files... One of these days will get around to it...

cheers,

Robin