TRANSLATING USER MANUAL

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
carlomuccini

TRANSLATING USER MANUAL

Post by carlomuccini »

The new 4.1 manual is really well done
The PDF version downloadable from the site is too large to be translated by Google translator because it exceeds the size and page limits;
10 MB and 300 pages respectively are the maximum limits for a document to be automatically translated.
It would be very useful if anyone could translate the English manual into their preferred language, but a solution should be found for this
Thanks again for all the work you have done

Carlo
turfpit

Re: TRANSLATING USER MANUAL

Post by turfpit »

This is a low cost solution = free.
  • Download the manual and save
  • Right-click the file
  • Choose Open With and choose preferred browser
  • Select File > Print
  • Select Save as PDF under Destination
  • Choose Custom under Pages
  • Select which pages save (e.g., 1–100, 101-200, 201-300, 301-413)
  • Save name as Part1, Part2 .... etc
The parts will be small enough to satisfy the translation requirements, If not break into smaller parts. I did try splitting into 2 parts but each part was larger than the original document. I would think Robin (quite rightly) applied some sort of compression utility to the original pdf.

An internet search for 'split pdf' turns up many references, Adobe being one of them. Anyone who already has any pdf editing tools should be able to split the original manual.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Carlo,

interesting point on the translation. I will have a think about how best to deal with that.

Another workaround for now is to use google translate on the online version of the user manual at https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1

For instance this link - https://docs-sharpcap-co-uk.translate.g ... r_pto=wapp - should launch it in an Italian translation in your web browser.

One thing on my to-do list is to increase the font sizes and the spacings a bit on the online user manual to make it more readable.

cheers,

Robin
carlomuccini

Post by carlomuccini »

Thanks for the suggestions for PDF conversion,

I know how to do it, but for every update of the manual I would always have to repeat the same operations, cut, save, translate, recreate the PDF and so on.
I know well that the online manual can be easily translated with Google Translate but my question concerned the simple automation of the translation of the manual into PDF which goes alongside the online manual.

It was an idea....

Carlo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, it's awkward - if we split into two parts then all the links between the two parts stop working :(

I suppose I could make a version on 'A3' paper size, which would have less pages - it might look a bit weird though.

Robin