Recommended Frame grabbers for use with SharpCap

Pepe Le Pieu

Recommended Frame grabbers for use with SharpCap

Post by Pepe Le Pieu »

Hi there,
I have an ASTROVID StellaCam Ex camera (video/analog/PAL format) that I used to use with a Belkin type frame grabber on an old Windows XP laptop, to capture avi videos, and then use software like Videowave or Astrostack to process the videos or select frames for stacking, and this laptop has now died, and that frame grabber is not recognised on my new Windows 11 laptop.
I was wondering if there was any video device frame grabbers you would recommend that would work with the StellaCam and work with SharpCap?
I see that Mallincam sells a frame grabber which is designed for their cameras, which are very similar to the StellaCam EX, and apparently works with Windows 11. Would this be a selection that would work with SharpCap
Kind regards,
Rodney
admin
Site Admin

Re: Recommended Frame grabbers for use with SharpCap

Post by admin »

Hi Rodney,

a long time since I have used one of these, but I had best results in SharpCap with the geniune ezcap device from the ezcap.tv (see the docs at https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Frame%20Grabbers).

Looking at the current ezcap website, they have nothing in the tv grabbing section, but it is the 116 model that they have in the gaming section that worked for me.

I'm afraid I have no idea how this will work with your particular camera, but I certainly got it working on PAL composite video from other sources.

cheers,

Robin
Pepe Le Pieu

Re: Recommended Frame grabbers for use with SharpCap

Post by Pepe Le Pieu »

Thank you Robin, I will investigate this further.
Kind regards,
Rodney