skynyx2-2

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
hnations

skynyx2-2

Post by hnations »

Hello: I have a skynyx2-2 m and have been trying to run it in sharpcap.
sharpcap will detect the camera as a 2.0 camera and seems to run the preview
ok as well as most of the other features except: camera controls doesn't have
an exposure control! I"ve spent hours looking and cant find one.
Is the 2-2m really not supported after all? I can capture overexposed (white) ser
files and single frames but can't change the exposure time
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I"m trying to get ready for
the upcoming annular eclipse and sharpcap seems so much better
than lucam recorder....
thanks,
haro.d
admin
Site Admin

Re: skynyx2-2

Post by admin »

Hi Haro,

SharpCap doesn't have direct support for this type of camera, so for it to work at all, you must be either using it via a DirectShow (webcam) driver or an ASCOM driver. I'm going to assume that it's the DirectShow driver, since with the ASCOM driver there *would* be an exposure control.

Unfortunately with the DirectShow driver, the controls you get to see in SharpCap are determined by the people who have written the driver - it sounds as though they have decided not to make the exposure adjustment available to programs like SharpCap :(

There may be a workaround - in the controls on the right, look for one called 'Filter Options' - pressing the 'Show' button next to this will bring up an additional settings window for the camera (provided by the people who wrote the camera webcam driver). That might have an adjustment for the exposure in it.

Hope this helps,

Robin
hnations

Post by hnations »

thanks, i'll look. odd thing is it shows up under cameras as " skynxy2-0 and directshow driver is greyed out. apparently other folks have gotten other skynyx cams to run. haven't looked for an Ascom driver as of yet. thanks again.
hnations

Post by hnations »

Good idea! The exp control and gain IS hidden where you said to look. Weird. Limited to about 90 Ms but I'm only doing the sun.
Now to see if the video formats actually work!
Thanks again,
Harold
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Harold,

It exists an ASCOM driver for some Lumenera camera ... here: http://stellarjourney.com/diffusing-huz ... e_lumenera

In the past, I tested the free version with my Skynyx2-1 camera. It was working.
But today, when I try again, it is not more working.
Note that the ASCOM driver was/is more for single imaging (long exposure) with the camera.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
hnations

Post by hnations »

Thanks. I may be using that one but it's hard to know for sure....I emailed the author about the " advanced" driver he's selling. This seems to work ok now, so I'm a little afraid to try anything else. I can save avis and Registax will process them so format must be ok, which is mainly what I wanted.. I find it amazing that this camera still retails for what it did 14 years ago when there are much better cmos cams available for 7x less!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

glad you found the exposure control and can get things working, although having to pop up a separate window for adjustments is annoying.

As to the pricing, I'm guessing they are not selling many any more!

cheers,

Robin