x2 Barlow v. Frame Rate

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
turfpit

Re: x2 Barlow v. Frame Rate

Post by turfpit »

Mike
I've noticed Dave's format is RAW8 whereas I've been using RAW12 & by doing a few test have just realised that the frame rate RAW8 produces is much greater.
8-bit capture will give higher frame rates. 8-bit v higher bits is a trade-off. Try both with your equipment and do a comparison.
SharpCap analysis of the 224c camera recommends 400
From the Sharpcap manual "The goal of the Brain is to help you pick the right camera settings to get the best deep sky images". For planetary imaging the 400 figure for gain does not necessarily apply. The key is the histogram - for a large body surrounded by black, the classic 'whale' shape is the thing to aim for.

Set the gain, adjust the exposure and aim for this shape:
ASI120-histogram.png
ASI120-histogram.png (6.91 KiB) Viewed 4585 times

Back in 2017 when I was starting off with astro-imaging I became tired of capturing gigabytes of data, then processing the next day revealed the data was not good enough. I made progress when I installed Autostakkert and Registax on my capture laptop. I would test settings with a capture of 200 frames (takes 4 - 5 seconds @ 50fps) and for that amount of data the processing was quick. That is when I started to make process.

If you ask for 'perfect' capture settings there is no definitive answer because of all the equipment combinations and wildly varying atmospheric conditions.

Search for 'Damian Peach', 'Chris Go' - these are people with high reputations as planetary imagers.

Make a plan, get out there and follow the plan. Good luck.

Dave