SharpCap crashes with Smart Histogram Background Measure on ASI-432MM

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
etmeyer

SharpCap crashes with Smart Histogram Background Measure on ASI-432MM

Post by etmeyer »

Hi,

We attempted to use the Smart Histogram Brain tool for our ASI-432MM camera and failed due to it crashing every single time. We initially did this after taking our own sensor data in the lab with a light source, though we also later tried other computers and even other versions of sharpcap freshly installed (and thus using the default sensor data) and had the same issue every time.

The camera works, and we have no problems with image capture or live view. The smart histogram tool (before clicking brain) works as well. When we go to the brain tool, the dialog opens, and then if we click 'measure' for the background step, it freezes and crashes. Same if we try to check the box next to 'use this background' -- so we couldn't get around the crash by setting the background manually.

We reproduced the error on two different machines (first was windows 10, second was windows 11) and on both sharpcap 4.0 and 4.1. We attempted different USB settings, we turned off live capture, we tried having the capture frame set to a small subarray of the full frame. None of this got us out of the problem.

I thought perhaps it was having an issue when it was trying to access the sensor data, but in fact that tab shows up normally in the output area and displays without crashing if you just go straight there.

Error ID on the report we did send was #88672. Not sure if it's useful to send more than one of those.

Any insight?Image
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap crashes with Smart Histogram Background Measure on ASI-432MM

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for reporting - I have found the uploaded bug report and fortunately it's a simple (and silly) bug on my part where there is an infinite loop in some of the calculations for the sky brightness measurement in the case where the total range of offset (brightness, black level) values in the sensor data is less than 20.

I have fixed that for the next SharpCap 4.1 update (next week). I am a bit surprised at the small range of values that must be present in your sensor data though - if it's correct then the range for the 'brightness' control on that camera must be quite small.

cheers,

Robin
etmeyer

Re: SharpCap crashes with Smart Histogram Background Measure on ASI-432MM

Post by etmeyer »

Thank you for getting back to us so quickly! We will definitely look for the 4.1 update before moving forward.