Stretch Reset not working

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
CarlH

Stretch Reset not working

Post by CarlH »

Hi Robin,

when using the Locked Stretch in v4.1.11049 (Pro) for a longer period and then disabling it, the stretch Reset button does not work any more: it resets to the last auto stretch setting (even after manually changing the stretch to a different position). The bug has been there in previous beta versions too.

Let me know if you need logs to reproduce.

Regards

Carl
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stretch Reset not working

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

not sure that the logs would help much in this case as that sort of info doesn't really end up in the logs. How long is a 'long time'? I have tried a few tests leaving it a minute or so in 'locked stretch' before unlocking and the reset button seems to work nicely at that point. The yellow transfer curve always goes back to a straight line from bottom left to top right when I press 'reset'.

What sort of settings are you using for the camera when doing this? Long or short exposures? If you can make it happen relatively quickly and then record a video of the steps needed that would be most helpful.

cheers,

Robin
CarlH

Post by CarlH »

Hi Robin,

I run 120 seconds in live-view mode, switching sometimes to 2-4s for refocusing. Typically I also enable and disable the locked-stretch button a couple of times. It happens nearly every day, but it requires longer runs (in terms of hours rather than minutes). I will try to narrow done the reason and report.

My settings typically look like this:

Pan=0
Tilt=0
Output Format=FITS files (*.fits)
Binning=1
Capture Area=6248x4176
Colour Space=MONO16
Exposure/Gain Shift=0
Hardware Binning=On
High Speed Mode=Off
Turbo USB=100(Auto)
Flip=None
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=120
Exposure=120,000s
Timestamp Frames=Off
Brightness=20
Window Heater Power=Off
Cooler Power=11
Temperature=5
Target Temperature=5
Cooler=On
Auto Exp Max Gain=337
Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30000
Auto Exp Target Brightness=100
Trail Width=3
Minimum Trail Length=100
Trail Detection Sensitivity=9
Mask over exposed pixels=Off
Flip (after dark/flat)=None
Remove Satellite Trails=Off
Background Subtraction=Off
Planet/Disk Stabilization=Off
Banding Threshold=10
Banding Suppression=0
Apply Flat=None
Hot Pixel Sensitivity=5
Subtract Dark=None
DisplayStretchEnable=1
NegativeDisplay=0
Display Black Point=0,0028533935546875
Display MidTone Point=0,00420265959882075
Display White Point=0,0652618408203125
iOptron CEM120,70,40,26, GEM, HEM, HAE, HAZ series and SkyHunter Mount=RA=02:44:32,Dec=+61:22:10 (JNOW)

By the way, the auto-stretch works nicely most of the time. It would be great to have it optionally enabled by default (or saved into the profiles). Only when zooming in and out the auto-stretch causes an issue: the image appears overbrightened until one more frame is captured.

Cheers

Carl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

just had a look at the code and I can't see an obvious way that the reset button could fail to set the stretch back to default, but oddly it sets the default values twice (I can't remember why I did that, but it suggests that doing it once wasn't enough in some cases, which is concerning).

cheers,

Robin
CarlH

Post by CarlH »

Hi Robin,

when the problem happens, manually moving the black/middle/white lines in the histogram (to genereate a straight line like the reset would normally do) and then pressing the reset button "resets" to the last auto stretch setting, despite the locked-reset button being disabled. From a developer point of view I would asumme the previous locked-stretch settings are intefering in some way. Either the locked-button status is not recognized correctly in some event, or the default (non-)stretch values for black, middle and white point variables are overwritten by a previous locked-stretch function call.

Cheers

Carl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

if it has processed the reset then the old values are gone. I wonder if the whole application might be lagging in its response to keyboard/mouse input at the times that you see the problem, so that the results of clicking on reset or adjusting the lines happens some time after you do it?

very weird. I will keep an eye out to see if I see anything similar happening in testing, but puzzled for now.

cheers,

Robin