v4.1.11031 focuser runaway inwards

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
celkins

v4.1.11031 focuser runaway inwards

Post by celkins »

Robin,
I don't quite know what happened here, as I'd switched to another virtual desktop to check on another program, however what I heard was one of my focus motors doing a very long run at top speed...
When I switched desktops back to SharpCap, I could see this focuser apparently headed for zero... it has been in the 33k area: it was running down at full speed, but I was able to hit a UI stop button which pulled it up at around 18k Please note how close in time these things are - unfortunately, though, I cannot see anything in the log suggesting why iy suddenly moved inwards by so far...

Sorry this isn't much to go on...

Carl
Attachments
Log_2023-09-13T01_12_40-11560.log
(501.1 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: v4.1.11031 focuser runaway inwards

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

There's a bit in the log...

I can see a scan at position ~31500 at 01:40 or so, which looks like it was cancelled as it only got to step 8 of 17. Looks like it was stopped at 01:43:08. Now, interestingly, previous movements during the scan took about 2 seconds each, but this time after SharpCap asked the focuser to move to 31727 there is a 15 second gap in the log before the scan was stopped. So, we know the move didn't complete in 2 seconds as it normally would.

So, I suspect the focuser ran away in response to the attempt to move it to position 31727. That value gets passed pretty much straight through to the ASCOM driver, with the exception of backlash/overshoot handling - if you can let me know your backlash related settings in the hardware settings page then I can have a dig into whether either of those might be causing the wrong value to be passed on. Otherwise, it may be something either in the ASCOM driver or the hardware side that has glitched.

cheers,

Robin
celkins

Post by celkins »

Hi, Robin,
sorry for the delay in replying.

Overshoot by 1200 steps, always approach in positive direction... there's quite a bit of slop in SCT focusers, and this goes through the 10x fine focus knob, as well as a reduction by the belt pulleys from a 200-step stepper.

Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

Regards,
Carl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

thanks for the info - I will revisit the overshoot handling code to see if I can see any way it could fail with a move to zero being the result.

cheers,

Robin