QHY camera and push-to: works, then crashes, the can't find camera anymore

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
bokemon

QHY camera and push-to: works, then crashes, the can't find camera anymore

Post by bokemon »

Hello,
I've been using the push-to assistant to give continuous plate solving for the last month or so. Initially using the 4.1 Beta and the two most recent official versions. I've only run into this problem the last few days, so not sure what changed in my setup, but...

I'll start Sharpcap and the push-to assistant as usual. (Camera is QHY 178M, using their latest May 2023 drivers)
It can run for up to half an hour or just a few seconds before it freezes up and further attempts to change settings causes a crash.
Then it can't find the camera anymore, despite restarting Sharpcap, or unplugging and replugging the camera.
The only way is to reboot Windows.

Anyway, I submitted the last two crash reports - maybe you can track down those reports to me?
For now, is there a way to reset the camera so I don't have to restart windows? Also, the camera is hooked into a USB-C hub, but I have no choice since my laptop doesn't have enough ports.
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY camera and push-to: works, then crashes, the can't find camera anymore

Post by admin »

Hi,

the fact that you have to reboot windows is a bad sign :(

If it was a software issue in SharpCap then closing and re-opening the application would probably do the trick. If it was a hardware issue with the camera having glitched then an unplug/replug should fix it. Rebooting windows, to me, makes it seem likely that the QHY system driver has somehow glitched, and that whatever has gone wrong is not cleared up until you reboot.

The only things I can think of here are

* Try different versions of the QHY system driver
* Try going to windows device manager, right click on the device (in AstroImagingEquipment), choose 'Uninstall Device'. Then unplug and replug the device and see if that brings it back

I have found one bug report for the 178M, uploaded on the 9th September. That log has PushTo in it, so quite likely one of yours. In that case, after a long session, the camera times out fetching a frame (22s waiting for a 1s frame). At that point SharpCap tries to reset the camera - which involves dropping it out of live mode and then restarting live mode, and the camera fails with a generic error (QHYCCD_ERROR) when trying to re-enter live mode. I suspect that whatever has caused the camera to glitch is unrecoverable from SharpCap's point of view at that point.

sorry not to be more helpful,

Robin