Vertical line noise in live-stack

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Post Reply
SDommin
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:43 pm

Vertical line noise in live-stack

#1

Post by SDommin »

Hello all! I love the live-stacking feature on SharpCap. I'm trying to figure out why some vertical noise lines appeared in my live stack. (picture and settings below) I guess my main question is why did they appear on one night, yet didn't appear a few nights prior USING THE SAME SETTINGS. The prior night was perfect and that's what's frustrating. Could it be equipment-related, like cables, camera, etc.?
Stack_6frames_540s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg
Stack_6frames_540s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg (877.49 KiB) Viewed 6557 times
Settings:

[Poseidon-C PRO (IMX571) (CAMD33235590A2109000)]
FrameType=Light
Debayer Preview=On
Hardware Binning=Off
Binning Mode=Average
Read Mode=Normal
Binning=1
Colour Space=RAW16
Capture Area=6252x4176
Output Format=FITS files (*.fits)
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Exposure/Gain Shift=0
Flip=None
USB Speed=100
Offset=120
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Analogue Gain=300
Exposure=90.000s
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=78(Auto)
White Bal (G)=0(Auto)
White Bal (R)=46(Auto)
Cooler Power=26
Temperature=-14
Window Heater Power=10
Fan=70
Target Temperature=-14
Cooler=On
Trail Width=3
Minimum Trail Length=100
Trail Detection Sensitivity=9
Mask over exposed pixels=Off
Flip (after dark/flat)=None
Remove Satellite Trails=Off
Background Subtraction=Off
Planet/Disk Stabilization=Off
Banding Threshold=10
Banding Suppression=0
Apply Flat=C:\SharpCap Captures\2023-09-01\Capture\flats\MasterFlat_2023-09-01-0048_9-Capture.fits
Hot Pixel Sensitivity=5
Subtract Dark=C:\SharpCap Captures\darks\Poseidon-C PRO (IMX571)\RAW16@6252x4176\90.0s\gain_380\MasterDark_10_frames_-20.5C_2023-08-29T01_04_43.fits
DisplayStretchEnable=1
NegativeDisplay=0
Display Black Point=0
Display MidTone Point=0.5
Display White Point=1
Notes=
iOptron CEM120,70,40,26, GEM, HEM, HAE, HAZ series and SkyHunter Mount=RA=20:58:44,Dec=+43:59:00 (JNOW)
TimeStamp=2023-09-01T02:10:57.7240719Z
SharpCapVersion=4.1.10949.0
User avatar
Menno555
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Vertical line noise in live-stack

#2

Post by Menno555 »

Hello and welcome

My experience with this was power related. I hooked up my gear with an extension cable to a power outlet in my livingroom. But I also had lines in my captures. This was almost reduced to zero once I connected it to a grounded power outlet from my kitchen. The outlet in my livingroom isn't grounded and that caused the lines.
Maybe the lines you have have are not power related, but it's a starting point :)

Menno
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA / Ioptron CEM25EC / Zwo ASI071MC Pro / Zwo ASI482MC
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17382
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: Vertical line noise in live-stack

#3

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'd normally expect to see horizontal rather than vertical lines, but when they are horizontal they are very often related to power fluctuations (noise) on either the USB power or the 12V cooler power.

If you have saved the individual frames then I expect that you would see the same effect in the stretched individual images if you push the stretch far enough (or perhaps in the darks - or both).

Because horizontal banding is most common, SharpCap has a pre-processing tool to try to suppress the bands in the images as they are captured. I guess you could try that by taking your final image, rotating it 90 degrees and then loading it into the SharpCap 'Test Camera 1 (Deep Sky)' - SharpCap will then process the image repeatedly as if it is coming from a camera and you can try adjusting the banding suppression controls.

cheers,

Robin
Post Reply