SV205 issue

Matty H

SV205 issue

Post by Matty H »

Hello, Wonder if i can get some assistance please?

We're using a Skywatcher 150P Telescope with the SV205 Camera

D=150mm
F=750mm

This is our first foray into Astronomy and moreover starting to get into Astro Photography - I get the set up is on a budget!...but we'd like to get the most of out it before we start to invest...

Moving on, the SV205 is fantastic when it comes to lunar imaging... We've been super impressed...and that alone has paid for the camera.
However, I'm led to believe you should also be able to image (the bigger) planets too? ...
My issue is that the camera is simply not picking up the planets at all, despite double checking they're in the field of view.
For example, Jupiter was incredibly bright last night, and I'm still not getting any image on the screen....if I slew to the moon, No problem!

I've tried using Barlows but to no avail. I'm perhaps thinking I need an extension tube?? ...would this work?

Be very obliged if someone can assist on this one.

Thank you
Menno555

Re: SV205 issue

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Matt and welcome

If you get the moon in view and it's sharp, then Jupiter should show just fine. So no need for a extension tube.
I did see that the SV205 has a maximum exposure of 1 second. But if your Gain setting is too low, it will probably not show.
Try to increase the Gain setting and see if that helps?
Do this first without Barlow though.

Menno
Matty H

Post by Matty H »

Thank you, Menno555

I Shall try this tomorrow night and let you know....

Weird though, that the moon is frankly spectacular when using the camera, but Jupiter (despite being super bright) is a struggle...

Thanks for the advice :)
Matty H

Post by Matty H »

Well, I Tried this and regrettably no image of Saturn at all :(

I maxed the gain, tried an extension tube and also tried with/without barlow.... Still to no avail.

One thing i forgot to add is that my scope is a refractor... I am therefore (blowing) in the proverbial wind?

Like I said, Can't fault the camera on Lunar imaging, its superb!!... but when I see folk using (even) the 105 and getting an image, then it gets a little frustrating... Thought I'm acutely aware I'm not going to get a JWST image!

I also get Saturn isn't particularly bright (like the writer!) and maybe I'm asking too much from a budget camera? but any further assistance would be most welcome... Thanks, in anticipation :)
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

A far a I know, you should be able to capture Saturn. Okay, indeed no JWST, but still ...
The next thing then is if it's really in your view? How do you check the position of your scope?

Menno