Sony raw files (.ARW) readable with Sharpcap v.4 ?

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
paolospeggiorin

Sony raw files (.ARW) readable with Sharpcap v.4 ?

Post by paolospeggiorin »

Hi all!
I'm still a fan of Sony Alpha7s camera modified for astro photos, but I'n frustrated that Sharpcap is not able to read its raw files.
So I have to do live stacking using "folder monitor camera" but loading JPG files.
Has anyone solved this need?
Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sony raw files (.ARW) readable with Sharpcap v.4 ?

Post by admin »

Hi,

someone around here came up with a workaround (for other raw formats) that involved some batch files and dcraw - basically the camera raw files would be dropped into one folder, the batch files would run them through dcraw and pop the output in another folder and SharpCap would pick up from the second folder.

Check out this post for a skeleton working script for Canon CR2 files that can probably be tweaked to suit.

viewtopic.php?p=11187#p11187

cheers,

Robin
paolospeggiorin

Post by paolospeggiorin »

Thank you Robin, I will try.
But do you know the reason why Sharpcap team doesn't try to solve the issue?
I think many Sharpcap users are also Sony users!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

mostly it's a matter of available time - there are lots of things like this that would be nice to do that we haven't had time to get around to. In a way, the fact that there is a workaround counts against this sort of thing, because there is an option to make this work, so other features that don't have a workaround tend to get done first.

cheers,

Robin