Double Stars

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
OAVP6554084@

Double Stars

Post by OAVP6554084@ »

Hello Everybody

This would be my first post in this Great SharpCap Forums.

In this sense, I would like to know if someone could help me with the necessary configuration to capture Double Stars. I have to say that I have been trying many different configuration combinations in my SharpCap learning curve, but have yet to find a reliable way to capture the data to finally get a good image for my personal Double Stars album.

Any advice will be really grateful.

Clear Skies for all of you

Orlando
admin
Site Admin

Re: Double Stars

Post by admin »

Hi,

difficult to give exact advice without knowing what telescope and camera you are using, but in general you should start by putting the camera into RAW16 or MONO16 mode (depending on whether a colour or mono camera), then set a starting exposure of say 15s and minimum gain, and adjust exposure and gain from there to give an appropriate brightness to the stars of interest. You can use the histogram function along with the area selection tool to get the histogram of just the double star of interest and check that you are not over-saturating the image in that area.

cheers,

Robin
OAVP6554084@

Post by OAVP6554084@ »

Hello Robin

I would like to thank you for your reply and advice. I really appreciate it. I am really interested to learn how to get the best from my Sharpcap 4.1

Oooops!!!! :oops: My Fault, I should have reported those details. You're right. Sorry about it.

My Telescope is a Sharpstars 94 mm Triplet ED APO Refractor and my Camera is the ZWO ASI 183 MC with a Televue Powermate 2.5 X 1.25".

Now with the information, may I have an extra info advice.

Thank you very much
Orlando
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Orlando,

so, knowing which camera you have, I would recommend starting with a gain of 100 to 150. Then try adjusting the exposure until the target stars are nearly but not quite saturated (if you allow them to saturate then you will start to loose colour information). If you end up with very short exposures that way then try reducing the gain to avoid the exposure dropping below a couple of seconds.

For other parameters, ensure you are in RAW16 mode and adjust the brightness control so that the main histogram peak from the black background is not touching the left hand side of the graph.

Hopefully this will get you going,

Robin
OAVP6554084@

Post by OAVP6554084@ »

Hello Robin

I just want to say thank you for your support.

These recommendations that you gave me mark for me a new starting point that is more professional and better oriented to the objective that I am looking for. I hope to be able to publish my first work soon.

I will have conditions to test next week.

Once again, thank you for your support.

Greetings

Orlando :D