ASI432MM Capturing Only Noise

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
dariv

ASI432MM Capturing Only Noise

Post by dariv »

I ran into an issue this morning capturing solar via Quark and ASI432MM camera. IF I set the camera to 8MONO full resolution , I can capture at 3ms no problem and get good data. I tried to switch to 16MONO and a small ROI. I was getting around 300fps. Problem is, when I loaded the SER files into Astrostakkert3, all I got was what looked like old TV static. Just random black and white blocks. I have no idea if this is a SharpCap issue, driver, camera, cable, just wanted to toss it out there and see if anyone else has experienced this problem?
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI432MM Capturing Only Noise

Post by admin »

Hi,

two suggestions for you

1) Try alternative viewing software for the SER (for instance SERPlayer) to see if you see the same in that as in AutoStakkert

2) Change one thing at a time when testing - ie go from MONO8 to MONO16 still at full resolution and see if that gives good data, then change ROI and see what happens, etc. That lets you narrow down which change is causing the issue.

cheers,

Robin
dariv

Post by dariv »

It appears to be an issue with 16MONO and defining an ROI. This is not confined to SharpCap either, but the same thing happens in Firecapture.
I'm going to see what happens in ASI's capture software and if the same thing happens there I'll try ZWO support.
dariv

Post by dariv »

I can confirm this also happens in in ASICAP, I sent an email to ZWO support and we'll see what they have to say about it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for continuing to investigate and reporting back. Sounds like a bug in the ZWO code, which hopefully they will fix fairly soon.

cheers,

Robin