SharpCap direct view for fits file with ALTAIR 294C

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
Corto46

SharpCap direct view for fits file with ALTAIR 294C

Post by Corto46 »

Hello ,
Two night ago I tried to capture M51 galaxie with my Newton 1200x250 and Altair Camera 294C in RAW 14 and Fits file format. I was sure that I was aligned to M51 , that I saw before monting my camera with an 36 mm ocular. I tried first with 60 sec exposure with a gain of 1000 , and i didn't see the galaxie. After several exposure I needed to move to 5 minutes of exposure to see in SharpCap window the galaxie. My concern is that when opened the fits file with 45 sec exposure and 650 gain with Siril the galaxie is clearly visible. Why there is a such difference between SharpCap view and Siril for a fits format ? Is there a particular sharpcap setting to see fits picture in direct view ? Trying with PNG format the issue was the same
Cordialement
Christian
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap direct view for fits file with ALTAIR 294C

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's possible that Siril is stretching the image automatically to bring out the faint detail that is normally too dark to see.

SharpCap has an equivalent function, letting you stretch the image displayed on screen without changing the data saved to file - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#!2!Min ... %20Stretch

cheers,

Robin
Corto46

Re: SharpCap direct view for fits file with ALTAIR 294C

Post by Corto46 »

Thank you Robin.
When I use one image of the serie I took of M51 (45 seconde exposure) as test image in SharpCap and stretching the image with the small histogramme I see the same image like Siril. Good thing to know when you don't see the target that you try to capture.
Have a nice day
Christian