Flat and Dark export using current ROI

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
lowenthalm

Flat and Dark export using current ROI

Post by lowenthalm »

I have been enjoying the simplicity of universal darks and flats that can be used with any ROI that was introduced in late version 4.0 and enhanced with variable ROI in 4.1 beta. It makes it really easy to maintain an extensive dark library and a simple flat library.

However, as I start to export raws for later stacking using this feature, I suddenly realized my flats and dark were the wrong size for my saved raw images if I was using a less than full frame ROI. Previously, I had a dark and flat for the two ROIs I used, but now I didn't. I thought, well how hard could it be to crop down the full frame flat and dark manually so I can use it in stacking programs? As it turns out, it's hard. After several go arounds without succcess, I gave up. I switched to shoot full frame in live stack when saving frames so I could use the full frame flats and darks that I had in my stacking program.

So... It seems to me that a really handy/helpful thing would be to have an "Export current flat and dark" option that would have Sharpcap crop down the currently selected dark and flat down to the current ROI. A little late to get this feature in I suspect, but thought I should suggest it for later maybe.

By the way, thanks for being so responsive to the SharpCap community on adding and improving features. You must be very busy coding, debugging/day testing, talking to folks on the forum AND testing all these features with actual cameras at night. Thanks for all the hard work, we enjoy the software a ton!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Flat and Dark export using current ROI

Post by admin »

Hi,

if the Folder Monitor camera or 'Test Camera 1 (Deep Sky)' did ROI then you could actually do this in SharpCap. I will keep that in mind, as it would be a relatively easy way to add this functionality. It wouldn't be quite a simple as an 'export' button from the user side, but easier on the coding side ;)

I must admit that I enjoy most of what I get to do when working on SharpCap (although writing documentation for 4.1 is coming up and I am looking forward to that less than most things). Now, if we ever see any clear skies around here...

cheers,

Robin
lowenthalm

Post by lowenthalm »

Do you mean process the captured raws back through the SharpCap folder monitor to apply the flats and darks?

Wouldn't this be like saving raws with darks and flats already applied? My goal was to save un-debayered raws that I could process as desired in another stacking program using different debayer algorithms than what SharpCap uses. Its just that I already have perfectly good darks and flats in my SharpCap libraries, so I don't want to waste time having to capture different dark and flat sets just for my stacking programs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

my suggestion was (and this won't work at the moment) that if one of those cameras supported ROI then you could load the dark into that simulated camera, set the same ROI then save an image, making a dark that is cut down to the correct ROI. Then do the same for the flat frame to create a flat cut to the ROI, then you are done. Anyway, that would only work after I set up ROI on one or both of those cameras, so not helpful at the moment I'm afraid.

cheers,

Robin