Open Fits Failed

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
turfpit

Re: Open Fits Failed

Post by turfpit »

I don't have ASIair but looking at the online manual it seems the inbuilt plate solve creates a target name which in turn creates a new folder for the target. This is where HIP 100453 (γ Cyg, 37 Cyg, Sadr) in the pathname comes from. Editing this to remove the Greek character would probably fix the issue and allow the files created below the folder to be opened.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

actually that label is straight out of SharpCap - a result of using the GOTO Target tool and picking a star as the target - the data in the catalog is

Code: Select all

HIP 100453,γ Cyg,37 Cyg|Sadr|Star|20.370472|40.25668|2.23|||
I think the OP was using ASIFitsViewer for viewing/processing rather than ASIAir.

For the next update of SC 4.1 I have added a new option to replace greek characters in file/folder names
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (88.05 KiB) Viewed 411 times
This option is going to default to *ON* since I would prefer things to work by default, rather than needing to switch on some strange option to make them work. In the case above, the file/folder name will change from 'HIP 100453 (γ Cyg, 37 Cyg, Sadr)' to 'HIP 100453 (gamma Cyg, 37 Cyg, Sadr)'

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

That looks like a clean solution.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It should work fine until we end up with a case where the file + folder name exceeds 254 characters due to the expansion of the greek letters - then it will fail again I expect as handling paths longer than that in Windows is tricky and CFitsIO probably doesn't do it...

Oh well, at least it should be less frequent than the use of greek letters in target names :)

cheers,

Robin