Camera Settings Changes 30 Seconds to Occur

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
kaymann

Camera Settings Changes 30 Seconds to Occur

Post by kaymann »

ZWO ASI533MC Pro over 30 seconds to change from RAW8 to RAW16 or, gain from 186 to 105, or, or, or.

Pleas see the attached log:
Log_2023-07-07T13_14_30-13576.log
(111.58 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

I can see something is going on there but I don't know what is. NINA has zero problems with the same camera and same changes. I also used the NINA flat wizard with no issues. So it is not USB or camera hardware issues...

Win10, SC 4.1.10872 Almost forgot uninstall reinstall x3 no change
admin
Site Admin

Re: Camera Settings Changes 30 Seconds to Occur

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the log - looks like SharpCap is getting stuck shutting down the camera for the mode change. Normally SharpCap sets a short exposure as part of the shutdown which avoids waiting until the end of any long exposures that are in progress, but in this case that seems to be getting stuck for 30 to 40 seconds before finally failing. There are also some odd log entries about 38681 dropped frames, which is weird.

I will look into this one when I get back from holiday and I have a ZWO camera to test with on hand.

cheers,

Robin
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

I did some experimental work on this situation:

1) Same computer swapped out all components of USB 3 with brand new components one by one - same problem
2) Same computer back to NINA now - similar problems !?!
3) Different computer fresh install of SC 4.1.10872.0 & NINA one by one old USB components - ZERO problems

Examined old computer for USB 3 issues, as Robin indicated camera communications, seemed to be the issue and everything worked until a recent windows update and the whole spider in the USB cord thing (that cable was thrown out before these recent issues)...

USB 3 seems to be misidentified in the computer and will not revert to old used to work driver. So it is a USB 3 Driver issue as far as I can tell and something I could work on however I have brokered a swap for a ZEON Motherboard that will be killer for both capture and processing.

So I am actually glad Robin is on vacation and did not waste anymore time than a log inspection and email on this.

P.S. in both of my recent mishaps I think it is important for us to come forward so others do not spin wheels on problems not their own. As embarrassing as my problems were I think coming forward can potentially help others with similar resolutions.

Fair winds and following seas, clear skies
Randall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Randall,

thanks for reporting back - good to hear that you identified the problem even if it does mean buying new hardware :(

I think that this kind of issue is slowly getting rarer as the older computers that had slightly flaky USB3 implementations (often VIA or Renasas rather than Intel chipsets) finally fall out of use. I must admit that I still keep a USB3 add-in card for testing problem situations, although I can't always make every camera work with it.

cheers,

Robin
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Brand new add in card with 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 & USB C - everything working perfectly. You reminded me I could use an PCIe Host Card...