Sensor Analysis - ZWO ASI178MC

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
poolemarkw

Sensor Analysis - ZWO ASI178MC

Post by poolemarkw »

I'm looking for some additional detail regarding exactly how to do this. The brief instructions mention preference for a natural light source and low levels. I read others mentioning using a white t-shirt or otherwise. Some are doing it inside and not outside. Please let me know if this is an acceptable method:

- Make sure the settings are for RAW capture
- Point the telescope to a clear blue sky away from the sun
- Install a white cloth or t-shirt over the end
- Do the Sensor Analysis procedure. If an error indicates it's too bright, add another layer of t-shirt
- Continue until successful
- Repeat for all RAW bit options

Thanks!

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis - ZWO ASI178MC

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

yes, that should be fine - you would want to avoid doing it when there is intermittent cloud cover as a good fraction of the light would be coming from sunlight on the t-shirt and if that varies while the relative gains are being measured you will get bad results.

Personally my favoured approach is to find one of the translucent 1.25" dust covers and put that over the camera nosepiece and then run the sensor analysis inside under artificial light. If you see horizontal banding at short exposures due to the light flicker then make the selection box tall and thin to make sure you are averaging over several full bands.

cheers,

Robin
poolemarkw

Re: Sensor Analysis - ZWO ASI178MC

Post by poolemarkw »

Thanks Robin, I did it inside with the plastic cap and it worked great!