FITS file stored from LiveStack seems to be missing critical information

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
cfmcmillan

FITS file stored from LiveStack seems to be missing critical information

Post by cfmcmillan »

I am setting up SC 4.09538.0 to do LiveStacking for short exposures (~15s) that will integrate over 5 minutes and then save the stacked image as a FITS file for later processing by PI. The edited sequence appears to be working as intended. However, the FITSRawStack16Bit file seems to be missing the information on which filter was used as well as the RA/DEC coordinates for the image. Have I missed something in the settings that will ensure that this information is included in the FITS header? I need it for post processing.

Thanks,

Charlie
admin
Site Admin

Re: FITS file stored from LiveStack seems to be missing critical information

Post by admin »

Hi Charlie,

that's odd - it should just work. I have just tested in 4.0.9538 and as long as the ASCOM mount and filter are connected in SharpCap while you are stacking then the data gets read from them and goes into the saved FITS file, as you can see in the fits headers of a test file I generated shown below.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (95.45 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
The info should also be included in the 'Capturesettings.txt' file saved alongside the FITS file, like this

Code: Select all

Manual Filter Wheel=Green
Telescope Simulator for .NET=RA=04:37:22,Dec=+53:10:17 (JNOW)
I can't think of any obvious reason why they would not appear (beyond the hardware not being set up / connected in SharpCap). If you can tell me a bit more about the setup you are using, I can try to experiment with the same brand of camera, etc, just in case that makes a difference.

cheers,

Robin