Live stack: failed alignment when raw frames are saved creates endless series of directories

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
lowenthalm

Live stack: failed alignment when raw frames are saved creates endless series of directories

Post by lowenthalm »

This is an strange edge case, but when you hit it, it will create empty output directories without end when its triggered.

In live stacking:

1) Raw frames set to "Save raw frames (except when paused dithering" is selected (might do it if other save raw image options are selected too, didn't try it).
2) The image has too few stars and fails to align after capturing the first image.

It will start creating a new output directory for the current date/time after frame is captured and fails alignment. There might have been an error message too - its late and my memory is getting foggy. It was a few hours ago and I didn't get a chance to test it again.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live stack: failed alignment when raw frames are saved creates endless series of directories

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the report - I will test myself. If it depends on no alignment it should be easy to reproduce (a camera with the lens cap on for instance).

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live stack: failed alignment when raw frames are saved creates endless series of directories

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm not seeing this happening. Maybe it is related to some customization of the file naming patterns that you might have set up (or some other similar option). Any more info would be appreciated.

cheers,

Robin
lowenthalm

Post by lowenthalm »

I can get the "Saving RAW frame failed because file already exists message in the banner using the deep sky test camera by setting FWHM really low, but now can't seem to reproduce the production of new directories with each loop. Should have gone back and verified that I could reproduce this before reporting - I know you must be busy, so don't want to report anything that isn't a solid bug. It might require a too few stars to align failure to trigger it, which I can't figure out how to do with the test camera. I'll try again tonight on some real sky with a real camera and if I don't update this forum thread, you consider it an oops on my part. Sorry!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you are getting the message about overwriting, the best thing to do is to go back to your filenaming settings. You should see a warning there telling you that you have a problem with one or more of the templates which needs fixing.

The most common cause is not including the time somewhere in the template. If you only include the target name and date then you will get issues if you run two different captures of the same target on the same day - the names generated for both will be the same. For the raw frame option you should include either {Index} or {FrameTime} in the filename part to make sure that each frame has a different name. Using {StackedFrames} will not suffice as that does not increase if the frame is ignored.

cheers,

Robin