Sharpcap Stalls on data transfer from QHY168C

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap Stalls on data transfer from QHY168C

Post by admin »

Hi Anthony,

I was just composing an email to QHY about this issue and that got me trying some things out with my QHY178 and then I discovered that I get a crash with my camera when I select 'Force Still Mode' and the camera is in RGB24. Still mode works correctly in RAW8 and RAW16 though.

Now I am wondering if the use of the RGB24 mode is the cause of the still mode crash - or perhaps all your problems? Can you test with and without still mode using RAW8 and/or RAW16 colour spaces?

thanks,

Robin
Antman72

Post by Antman72 »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 pm Hi Anthony,

I was just composing an email to QHY about this issue and that got me trying some things out with my QHY178 and then I discovered that I get a crash with my camera when I select 'Force Still Mode' and the camera is in RGB24. Still mode works correctly in RAW8 and RAW16 though.

Now I am wondering if the use of the RGB24 mode is the cause of the still mode crash - or perhaps all your problems? Can you test with and without still mode using RAW8 and/or RAW16 colour spaces?

thanks,

Robin
I can confirm that i do not get any crash with beta version when using raw 16 or 8 & forcing still mode on. The stalling seems to be fixed when using raw16 but not raw8.

EDIT: It stalls once when first started under raw16 then no matter the next exposure time no more stalling. Raw 8 same as original.

EDIT 2: If program is started with force still mode on no stalling under raw16
Last edited by Antman72 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, that's a promising start - particularly as you would tend to use the higher bit depth (RAW16) for long exposure work anyway. I would imagine that the ASCOM driver, SGP, etc are using this mode behind the scenes anyway, which explains the lack of stalling from them. It seems like you should now have a working system using the RAW16 mode.

So I can send an accurate report to QHY, please can you verify the status of each combination below -

RGB24 / Live mode - stalls
RGB24 / Still mode - crashes
RAW8 / Still mode - stalls
RAW8 / Live mode - ???
RAW16 / Still mode - works
RAW16 / Live mode - ???

cheers,

Robin

(ps - new build 3.1.5125 publicly available, including the still mode option and various other bug fixes).
Antman72

Post by Antman72 »

Error again in raw 8 force still mode on from start.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (221.58 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Antman72

Post by Antman72 »

RGB24 / Live mode - stalls
RGB24 / Still mode - crashes
RAW8 / Still mode - stalls
RAW8 / Live mode - stalls and crash
RAW16 / Still mode - works if started in still mode otherwise stalls on first transfer
RAW16 / Live mode - stalls
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent, thank you.

Robin