ASI178MC Debayer Pattern?

poolemarkw

ASI178MC Debayer Pattern?

Post by poolemarkw »

I found elsewhere on the internet that RGGB should be the debayer pattern for this camera but the results aren't looking right. I'm using PIPP to do the debayering process. Can anyone confirm if RGGB is correct and/or what other pattern would be correct?
turfpit

Re: ASI178MC Debayer Pattern?

Post by turfpit »

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254.

When you use PIPP it will work out what to use - just go with that. GBRG might be the right one. The Bayer pattern might be

RG
GB

Some software reads top row first (left to right), then second row - gives RGGB
Some software reads bottom row first (left to right), then top row - gives GBRG

Drag an image file onto Autostakkert's OPEN button and Color set to Auto to see what it reports. PIPP and AS usually agree on the pattern.

Capture an image as FITS and load into FITS Liberator https://www.spacetelescope.org/projects ... load_v301/. Then look on the Image Headers tab for the Bayer pattern.

This example is for an AS120MC. Don't assume all camera models from the same manufacturer have the same Bayer pattern.

ASI120MC-example-FITS-header.PNG
ASI120MC-example-FITS-header.PNG (23.44 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

If you are still not sure, then make a single image available for download.

Dave
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Having slept on this one - here is an easy way to find the debayer pattern. All that is needed is the camera plugged into the capture machine on a table. The cap can be left on the camera.
  • Set the Colour Space to RAW
  • Set Output Format to SER
  • Capture a small video
  • Double-click the SER output file
  • Note the debayer pattern at the bottom right of the SER Player screen
This example is the SER Player output from a ZWO ASI120MC camera SER video, GRBG in this case.

find-debayer-pattern.PNG
find-debayer-pattern.PNG (3.42 KiB) Viewed 5119 times

[Note: Different camera models from the same manufacturer may have different debayer patterns.]

The other way to be sure is to take a RAW image of a land-based object which has some distinctive colour such as a red wall, green tree and blue sky. Try each of the debayer patterns in PIPP. One of them will look 'right' and the other 3 will look 'wrong'.

See my document at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254 for further detail and help on how to use the debayer functionality in PIPP. Anyone using RAW8 and Deep Sky Stacker will find this useful.

Dave
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Thanks Dave! Per your suggestion yesterday I downloaded Autostakkert and opened one of the saved images and it reported "GRBG" for my ASI178MC. I then used PIPP to debayer using that pattern it appears to be correct. I'll try your SER player method as well just to confirm.