beta 4.1 save livestack before slewing and synching to new object

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
DrBobAZ

beta 4.1 save livestack before slewing and synching to new object

Post by DrBobAZ »

Hi Robin

Loving beta 4.1.

I do not see a way to stop sharpcap from saving a frame before slewing and auto synching to a new target in 4.1. In 4.0, it would ask before livestacking if I wanted to change the name oif the folder to the new object name, but afaik 4.1 will save (a not useful) set of images before it slews and resynchs automatically. I love the one step choose, slew and resynch, I just dont want it to save those frames.

What do I need to do to turn that off?

thanks

Bob
admin
Site Admin

Re: beta 4.1 save livestack before slewing and synching to new object

Post by admin »

Hi Bob,

currently no way to turn that off, since the assumption was that if you have stacked some frames then you wouldn't want to lose them when moving to a new target. If there are zero stacked frames when the move starts then there will be no save, but that doesn't really help here.

There is a tension here in the design as I do try to keep the number of check boxes/options down to avoid the software becoming ever more complicated. Here I was hoping that the default choice of 'save if there's anything to save' would be sufficient, since you would never lose data and if you didn't want it, you could ignore the folder or clear it up afterwards.

cheers,

Robin
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

admin wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:50 pm Hi Bob,

currently no way to turn that off, since the assumption was that if you have stacked some frames then you wouldn't want to lose them when moving to a new target. If there are zero stacked frames when the move starts then there will be no save, but that doesn't really help here.

There is a tension here in the design as I do try to keep the number of check boxes/options down to avoid the software becoming ever more complicated. Here I was hoping that the default choice of 'save if there's anything to save' would be sufficient, since you would never lose data and if you didn't want it, you could ignore the folder or clear it up afterwards.

cheers,

Robin
Thanks for the reply. My habit is to save the images 'save as seen' and annotated, then end the livestack. So at that point, I am not livestacking. The process before slewing saves effectively a stack of one, not the previous stack with many frames, hence the non-usefulness of this final save.

I suppose I could choose the next object before ending the live stack, and then the stack that is saved is a useful one with many frames.

Does that sound like a reasonable modification of my workflow?

Bob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bob,

OK, I think I see what is happening...

From SharpCap's point of view, closing live stacking is just a 'pause' of stacking that can be resumed on the grounds that you could have closed it accidentally and might want to continue. If you are saving and then clearing, there is a possibility that one frame gets added to the new stack before the slew to the new target happens, which is causing the problem.

I'm going to have to look into this, since it is clear that the 'live stack close doesn't mean close' is causing more trouble than it is worth. For now, I will try to modify the code so that it will not save stacks of only one frame, which should reduce the imact on you.

cheers,

Robin
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

Thanks Robin!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bob,

the steps I have taken (a bit of a compromise maybe) are as follows

1) Auto save from the GOTO tool will not save the stack if it only has 1 frame in it
2) If you close stacking manually then it will only offer to resume if you re-open it again within 60 seconds. Beyond that time if you re-open it will clear and start a new stack.

I'm hoping that will improve matters without breaking the way other people work.

cheers,

Robin