AVI Files Longer Than Setting

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
johnpd

AVI Files Longer Than Setting

Post by johnpd »

I did some .AVI videos of the Sun Friday setting it to take 1 minute worth of frames. The count at the bottom did indicate that is what it did. The settings .TXT file also indicates a 1m video. But when I load and run the .AVI files in any video player, they indicate that the video is actually 2:40m in length. I am using a Player One Apollo-M Mini camera

JohnD
Attachments
16_03_02.CameraSettings.txt
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: AVI Files Longer Than Setting

Post by admin »

Hi John,

SharpCap does not set up AVI files for a frame rate that matches the frame rate of the camera in use. There are a couple of reasons for this

* There is no easy way to deal with irregular frame timing (and this happens if you change exposure, or if frames are dropped during capture)

* At longer exposures, setting the frame timings to match the frame rate would be a big issue - if you record a whole night of 1 minute exposures on an all sky camera, you *really* don't want to end up watching it in real time! Most video players only give a limited range of speed adjustment (say up to x10), which is still not fast enough.

Because of this, SharpCap always sets AVI files up as if there are 30 frames per second being captured, so they will play back at a reasonable rate.

SER files allow for the exact timing of every frame to be saved into the file, so will play back at the correct speed.

cheers,

Robin
johnpd

Re: AVI Files Longer Than Setting

Post by johnpd »

Thanks Robin,

I will give the .SER format a try.

JohnD