[SOLVED] SharpCap.exe-Configuration Parser Error

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
RMSQueenMary

[SOLVED] SharpCap.exe-Configuration Parser Error

Post by RMSQueenMary »

I recently updated to SharpCap 3.0. I kept SharpCap 2.9. SharpCap 3.0 ran fine the first time. The second time I run it, I get this message:

SharpCap.exe-Configuration Parser Error
Error Parsing
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config
Parser returned error 0x80004005

It will not run.

I am on Windows 10 and recently updated.

I never had this problem before.
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap.exe-Configuration Parser Error

Post by admin »

Hi,

very weird - never seen this happen before.

The error message seems to indicate a problem with a system wide configuration file for the Microsoft .NET Framework, so the first thing I'd suggest is downloading and installing the latest version of that (https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/ ... rk-runtime). If you already have that version and it offers the option to 'Repair' then try that.

If that doesn't work then have a look to see if the file mentioned in the error exists on your computer and check that you can open it (open it in notepad to have a look at what is inside). It could be that the contents of the file has become corrupted, so if you want, post the file as an attachment here and I can have a look. Unfortunately the error code - 80004005 - just means 'generic error', so it doesn't tell us much about *what* is wrong with that file.

cheers,

Robin
RMSQueenMary

Post by RMSQueenMary »

admin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:29 am Hi,

very weird - never seen this happen before.

The error message seems to indicate a problem with a system wide configuration file for the Microsoft .NET Framework, so the first thing I'd suggest is downloading and installing the latest version of that (https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/ ... rk-runtime). If you already have that version and it offers the option to 'Repair' then try that.

If that doesn't work then have a look to see if the file mentioned in the error exists on your computer and check that you can open it (open it in notepad to have a look at what is inside). It could be that the contents of the file has become corrupted, so if you want, post the file as an attachment here and I can have a look. Unfortunately the error code - 80004005 - just means 'generic error', so it doesn't tell us much about *what* is wrong with that file.

cheers,

Robin
I have the latest version Microsoft .NET Framework. It would not allow me to repair.

I cannot copy or attach machine.config file. It would not allow me to.

I might have to reinstall Windows 10.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, it sounds like you don't have permission to read the config file for some reason. You should be able to give yourself that permission by right clicking on it and using either permissions or security in the properties of the file. A quick Google for something like 'windows grant permission file' should give the exact procedure. Give all users read access and hopefully that will fix it.

Robin
RMSQueenMary

Post by RMSQueenMary »

Here is machine.config file. I have attached and saved in text file. Sorry for the delay.

Update: Now I can run it. I will keep an eye on it.
Attachments
machine.config.txt
(35.14 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to hear it is working now - I'm fairly sure that the lack of permission to read that file was the cause of the problem. Of course just *how* the file got that way is another question entirely.

cheers,

Robin
RMSQueenMary

Post by RMSQueenMary »

I installed the latest SharpCap and it runs. Than when I close it and run it again, it gives me the same message:

SharpCap.exe-Configuration Parser Error
Error Parsing
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config
Parser returned error 0x80004005

This is despite the fact that I updated Windows 10. I checked the machine.config file and the date is still the same from 2015.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Try logging on to the machine with a different user account. If you do not have one then create a new one. Log on with the new user and follow the steps to try to reproduce the Sharpcap error.

If you cannot reproduce the error under the new user that indicates a corrupt profile for the old user. If that is the case, there are steps that can be taken to reolve this.

Dave
RMSQueenMary

Post by RMSQueenMary »

turfpit wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:28 am Try logging on to the machine with a different user account. If you do not have one then create a new one. Log on with the new user and follow the steps to try to reproduce the Sharpcap error.

If you cannot reproduce the error under the new user that indicates a corrupt profile for the old user. If that is the case, there are steps that can be taken to reolve this.

Dave
If I run as Administrator, it runs fine with no problems. I get that message when I do not run as Administrator.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

When you say "run as Administrator" is that

1. Right click the SharpCap icon and choose Run as administrator?

or

2. Log on with a different account which is an Administrator Account type?

For the user with the problem, let us call it BadUser, is it a Standard or Administrator account type?
  • Create a new user, let us call it NewUser, which has a Standard account type.
  • Log on with NewUser.
  • Run SharpCap, close and restart several times.
If NewUser works, this indicates that BadUser has a corrupt profile. If this is the case, there are steps that can be taken to resolve this.

Dave