Live View - No updated images

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
higginsdj

Live View - No updated images

Post by higginsdj »

Live View displays what I assume is the first frame it captures but then no longer updates the view. Sharp Cap is obviously getting all the frames as the histogram is changing as are the details in the bottom right is the screen (frame rate et al). Using an ASI120mm mono camera. My laptop is a quad Core i7 8th Gen and has 8GB RAM and is not running anything else.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live View - No updated images

Post by admin »

Hi,

that's odd, if the frame count is going up at the bottom left then frames are arriving from the camera and should be shown.

Can you check that you have the latest version of SharpCap (currently 4.0.8765). It would be worth having a look at the SharpCap Log (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Show%20Log) to see if any warning or error messages are appearing in the log while the camera is running. If you are unsure, feel free to post the log content here. Sometimes a screenshot is helpful too, since that shows everything (or almost everything) that is going on and maybe something that doesn't seem important is actually the key to this.

One more thing worth trying is to turn *off* the new UI mode (first page of the settings, 3rd checkbox down in the 'Display' section). Once you have turned that off, restart SharpCap and see if anything changes. The new UI mode is relatively new, and it does draw the image in a different way to the older code. Maybe there is a bug in that, meaning that it can freeze under some circumstances.

cheers,

Robin
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

I turned off the new UI and it is now 'refreshing' the image view with every frame.

Cheers

David
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Note that the New UI worked fine on my old (5year old) Alienware Laptop - just not my new ASUS laptop (Intel Graphics)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ok, that's a good start. Can you check that your graphics drivers are installed up-to-date on the new laptop? If you are using the fallback Microsoft graphics driver then that might cause problems.

cheers,

Robin
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

All drivers are up to date.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, thanks for checking.

I have a laptop with 'Intel UHD 620' graphics and all seems fine on that (Win10). This is clearly not an obvious and easy to spot problem - I will keep an eye out for more similar reports, since sometimes it is spotting a pattern in multiple reports that finally leads to understanding the issue.

cheers,

Robin
bollejim

Post by bollejim »

Hi,

In case this is still an issue for anyone else. I have this same LiveView issue but only when reducing the ROI on both my QHY and ZWO cameras. I was able to resolve the issue by either of the following:

1. turn on, "Use Old User Interface for compatibility"
or
2. turn off, "Use Graphics card acceleration to improve display performance"

btw. Love the app.

Version 4.0.9268.0 30/08/2022
Surface Laptop 4

Cheers,
Jim
BigAlp

Post by BigAlp »

YES! Finally!
After a day and a half, my Live View is working with my ZWO ASI120 Mini.

I tried # 2. turn off, "Use Graphics card acceleration to improve display performance"

Thank you bollejim!

Al
Galaxy Book
Win 11, SC Pro V4.0.9545, 64 bit.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Al,

this problem tends to be linked to old (out-of-date) graphics card drivers. Try looking for an update from the manufacturer of the graphics chip that your laptop/PC uses (that will almost certainly be either NVidia, AMD or Intel). Updates from the PC/laptop manufacturers (ie Dell, Acer, Samsung, etc) tend not to be so up-to-date.

cheers,

Robin