Plate solving problems

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
russ75

Re: Plate solving problems

Post by russ75 »

Hi,
I am trying to use ASTAP with SharpCap, but am stuck.

I've installed Astap.exe and database D50. When I click on "Test Selected Plate Solver," SharpCap recognizes that Astap.exe has been installed, but gives me the following message:

I downloaded and installed ASTAP database D50 because the ASTAP download page says that h17 and h18 are being phased out. I'm stumped as how to get ASTAP up and running with SharpCap.

Also, is there some way to install ASTAP in a non-standard location?
russ75

Post by russ75 »

Please disregard my previous question about the ASTAP D50 star database. When I uninstalled it and then re-installed it, SharpCap immediately recognized it. ASTAP seems to be working now. I'm looking forward to putting it to the real test under the stars if the Oklahoma clouds and high winds ever break at the same time.

I am still curious to know, however, if it is possible to install ASTAP at a custom location such as D:\Program Files\astap\. . ., rather than the usual location on my laptop's hard drive at C:\Program Files\astap\. . .
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello,

Yes, it is possible ... here an example on my computer.
Important is to select "Enter Manually".

ASTAP_setting.jpg
ASTAP_setting.jpg (126.14 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Jean-François
russ75

Post by russ75 »

Hi Jean-Francois,

When I select Astap as the plate solving application, I do not get the drop-down with the option to select the path to Astap.exe. I only get the options when AstroTortilla, Ansvr, etc. are selected.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Russ,

do you have a fairly old version of SharpCap by any chance? I think the manual location option for Astap got added some time after the original Astap support, so maybe you have a version from the period where there was no manual option...

cheers,

Robin
russ75

Post by russ75 »

Hi Robin,

Oops. :oops: You are correct. Operator error. My laptop is operating with version 4.0.8282.0. I will install the latest version. I think that will solve the problem. :oops: