Deep Space Annotation Window Position

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Xio1996

Deep Space Annotation Window Position

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Robin,

The DSA dialog always opens in the bottom right corner of the display, unlike the other dialogs that open centrally within the SharpCap main window. Except for the Scripting Console dialog, the other dialogs do not remember there location and re-open at the default location each time within a SharpCap session.

I was hoping it would be possible to have the DSA dialog open within the SharpCap window and more generally that the dialogs would remember their closed location and re-open at that location? It would be great if they remembered between SharpCap sessions, but it would definitely improve usability if the positions were remembered within a session.

I'm lucky enough to have a 4k monitor with apps from two different PCs intermixed on the display. The DSA dialog always manages to end up hidden under one PowerToy pinned app or another :D

Many thanks for such a great application.

Pete
admin
Site Admin

Re: Deep Space Annotation Window Position

Post by admin »

Hi Pete,

the deep sky annotation window is meant to align itself with the bottom right of the SharpCap main window, allowing it to be visible over the SharpCap main window but (usually) not cover too much. If it's not doing that for you then I ought to fix that as the first point of call so that it does what it's supposed to do, before looking into other enhancements.

Can you just confirm if it is appearing in an incorrect location for you? Maybe it is something to do with high DPI or mixing apps?

cheers,

Robin
Xio1996

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Robin,

Thank you for taking a look.

I can confirm that on both a 4k (with 2nd HD monitor) and a HD laptop screen the DSA window always heads to the bottom right corner of the screen, rather than the bottom right of the SharpCap window. That was using the latest beta (4.1.10276), but I can't remember when it didn't have this behaviour.

I do use PowerToys (fancy zones and pin to top) on the 4K+HD monitor system but it exhibits the same behaviour on the standalone laptop without PowerToys.

Many thanks for your help.

Pete
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Pete,

hmmm, that sounds like I mis-remembered how it works more than anything. I will have a poke around at the code.

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

I tested both the stable current version and the latest beta, and here the annotation window is in the bottom right corner of the SharpCap main window like Robin described.
Only when I set the Windows taskbar to Auto Hide, it's in the lower right corner of the screen and hiding the taskbar when the taskbar pops up when wanted. But that's normal behavior.

Menno
Xio1996

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Robin,

Just to check that I'm not going mad. Please find a link to a YouTube video that shows what I see on a 4K monitor, but to be honest the same happens on a HD monitor as well. All the apps in this video are running on the same PC. In my normal setup, SharpCap runs on the PC next to the telescope and is contained in a full screen 4K remote desktop window with inside PC apps pinned over the top. The behaviour is the same in both configurations.

https://youtu.be/_sqzwt2EG4Q

Many thanks for your help.

Pete
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

I just tested with SharpCap not in full screen and indeed I get the same as in his video. This both in the current version and the latest beta.
So you are not going mad Pete :)

Menno
Xio1996

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Robin,

Thank you for adding the DSA window positioning functionality (4.1.10299 beta). No more lost windows for me :D

Have fun

Pete